Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

trapping coons, how to start?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default trapping coons, how to start?

My father in law would like me to trap some coons from his barn. I'm thinking of using a live trap due to cats (I've read to use fruit or something as bait). I would also like to trap some near his creek and am not sure what type or size trap to use. Any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Spike

Default RE: trapping coons, how to start?

pvc set ups work good in creeks, its simply a piece of 1or2 inch pvc driven in to the shallowpart of a creek at an anglewith the foot trap in front of it
Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

For the live trap, I would bait it with peanut butter and jelly. Works pretty well and you wont have to worry about catching any cats. For the creek I would preferably use a 1.5 coil spring foohold, but number 1's will work. Find shallow spots with a some what steep high bank and dig a shallow cavity in the side of the bank just above the water level, put the trap about four to five inches out in front of the hole with some kind of lure or bait. If you can find some trails through any thick stuff along the bank of the stream, a snare or 220 conibear works pretty well.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Handles

My father in law would like me to trap some coons from his barn. I'm thinking of using a live trap due to cats (I've read to use fruit or something as bait). I would also like to trap some near his creek and am not sure what type or size trap to use. Any suggestions?
Try the traps from Tractor Supply.

You can get a two pack trap set for $32.99 a small and a medium.
And put some apples or something like that in it.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_29260_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Good Luck

Old 10-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always used a live trap- it will be written on the box/manual that this size trap is suitable for raccoons- it's one of the larger sizes they make. I've always just found a spot they frequent and bait it. What has worked well for me is to camoflauge the live trap with some sticks, leaves, etc so it appears more natural, then make a small trail of the bait leading into the trap, with a larger amount of bait at the back end of the trap past the trigger.

As for bait, I've used a lot of different things- corn, bacon bits, ranch-flavored sesame seeds (this one seemed to work the best out of all of them, believe it or not), peanut butter, sausage & onions. Anything that has meat in it, or is meat-flavored, you have a better chance of catching a cat instead of a coon, but the live trap won't hurt them.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 AM

my grandaddy has been growin corn for id say atleast the past 40 years if not longer so hes had alot of coons ground hogs and crows to deal with. and what always gets the coons is peanut butter that works better than anything he says..

he uses one of those have heart traps i think is what theyre called
Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

get a box trap from tractor supply. Make sure it is big enough. then use peanut butter bread. They love it. If you are just after coons peanut butter is the way to go.
-Jake