Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

trapping coons

Old 03-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default trapping coons

I have a lot of coons at my place and trap them regularly in a cage style box trap. I take them far enough away and release them so they don't come back. I was thinking about keeping hides during the legal trapping season. Any ideas of how to process the hides, and do you eat the meat? I've heard of people eating coon meat but I'm not sure.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: trapping coons

Check your regulations regarding trapping. In my state they are more or less varmits and can be trapped year around. In other states there are seasons and you need a license and need to trap during the season.

Relocating and releasing animals sounds nice and kind and all of that and disneyish. When you relocate an animal you are taking it to another area that it is unfamiliar with, where it does not know wherefood and cover are. You are introducing it to an area where there are already other animals and it is in effect invading their territory. Animals are generally not friendly to other animals hedging into thier area. If they are carrying disease, something you often won't know, you may inadvertantlyspread that disease to the new area. Relocation sounds nice, but in reality is generally a poor idea. Consider it.

If they are causing damage, trap and kill them within the bounds of the law. If you can do it in the fall and winter when the pelts have value, all the better.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Oh..and inanswer to the other questions: The meat is edible. Many eat it, many don't. Do a google search on raccoon meat for ideas.I have Tom Osborn's fur processing video. It is very well done and for $20.00 it will give you five hours of instruction on how to skin, flesh, and stretch hide for most furbearers.

http://www.fntpost.com/product_detail.php?cid=521&product_id=2089
Old 03-03-2007, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the info trapper. They do tear up my garbage, thescreenaround ourporch, and veggie plants. We do havefur-bearer seasons and cannotkill them year around.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:48 AM

thanks for the info trapper. They do tear up my garbage, thescreenaround ourporch, and veggie plants.
Just what he was stating! Don't make your problem someone elses by relocating the coons. Here in VA there is a law against transporting and relocating wild animals.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Most states have a contingency for damage control that allows managment out of season. Call your warden and see if you can legally deal with damage causing coon on your property, whether you can get a damage control permit, etc....
Old 03-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

coon is good eating..... i have a great recipe... if u want it... let me know
Old 03-11-2007, 12:03 PM

i put intifreeze in cow tanks in the middle of woods/edge of corn fields..check it a few days later..theyre is usually 15/20 coons within 20 yards of the tank...if u want em to not move..add a bit of gasoline to the mixture
Old 03-12-2007, 05:10 AM

What about all of the non-target animals that drink the water? Think about it and use your head for something besides a hat rack!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

no lie

Quick Reply: trapping coons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.