Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How to set traps?

Old 03-05-2003, 10:10 AM

Default How to set traps?

I have bought some leg traps at an antique store. I would like to try my hand at trapping and don' t know where to start. I have several places where there are coons, coyotes, bobcats, and beavers. If there are any websites or books out there too help, that would be great. Thanks for any info you can give me.--Jace
Old 03-06-2003, 07:51 AM

Default RE: How to set traps?

Scout the area!!!! Look for any place where there is a well used trail, or where there are lots of fresh tracks. These animals will be routine in using the trails and will wander right into the trap. Make sure that you check the local laws and regulations regarding trapping and either keeping or selling the animal.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:48 AM

there is a publication that has a lot of good info.
you can go to www.trapperpredatorcaller.com and look.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:24 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Do you know what size, model, style, etc. the traps you have are? The first thing you should do is find an experienced trapper and have him look over the traps. Over time the springs tend to weaken and become brittle. The traps may need some work before you use them. Most all old traps can be repaired and used. There are several good books out there, a few I would reccommend would be Farmland Fur Trapping by Bernie Berringer, a really good multi species book. Master Wolfer by James Lucero, coyote trappers bible. Any book by Charles Dobbins, I have all of his books and they are all excellent, the best there is IMHO. It would help to get in touch with your state trappers association, they should be able to give you some names of trappers in your area. I have found most trappers to be very friendly and willing to help out a new guy. What state are you from? I can probably get you a contact number and name. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the information. I am from SW Arkansas. Texarkana to be exact. It is on the Arkansas/Texas border. Part of the city is in Texas and the other part in Arkansas.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:09 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Arkansas Trapppers Association President is Tim Rainey 501-233-6377
http://arkansastrappers.tripod.com/arkansastrappers

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Ass President is Bill Applegate 915-729-3623

Let me know if I can be of any further help
Old 03-24-2003, 02:04 PM

If i see a coyote in a pasture or some thing that is were i will put a trap. I ussually dig a little hole and put a rock right above it a put some rotting meat in the hole. Ussually they will come and stick there front paw in the trap. Make sure you arent setting your traps anywhere near dogs.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Fork Horn

Go to www.trapperman.com and click on the Talk forum link. This is probrably one of the best trapping sites around, you' ll get lots of advice and there are links to other sites to go to.