Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

dye/wax for new traps

Old 01-09-2008, 11:30 PM

Default dye/wax for new traps

Have some new traps for land sets. Can I get away with just waxing this year?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:41 PM

Default RE: dye/wax for new traps

Yes, I bought a few new traps this season and only waxed them. I normally dye and wax, but so far I haven't noticed a difference. I have been trying to trap this one badger for weeks with no luck, but I got a few coyotes and a skunk in the process. It seems to be about a 50/50 split between them stepping my dyed/waxed traps, and my waxed only.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 AM

Thanks. What are you using for bait/lure in your sets? Mostly looking to thin out the coyotes around here.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 PM

I have been using a combo of Canine Force, which is a commercial paste that I bought at Gander Mountain, and small pieces of cottontail rabbit. NM doesn't protect cottontail, so as long as I put the rabbit chunks down in my hole, it's legal. (by the way these are all hole sets) I catch a lot more using either a gland scent, or coyote urine in conjunction with the Canine Force, but I'm out and won't be in a town where I can buy any for at least another two weeks. Flat sets work really well for my buddy. He just digs his trap bed in a funnel or area where he knows the dogs are running, and puts a rock, stick, clump of grass, or whatever on the upwind side of his trap. Then he will spray coyote urine and maybe add a little gland scent to whatever he place near his trap bed. So far this season he is just shy of 70 trapped coyotes on 18 traps. And for the record he only waxes his traps, not a single one is dyed. Make sure you are practicing good scent control too. That’s probably the most important part of the equation.