Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

HIGH COUNTRY COYOTES?

Old 02-28-2003, 07:44 PM

Default HIGH COUNTRY COYOTES?

I live in the high country of MT and am limited to hunting off a snowmoble to get to a calling locaton. How long after shutting off the sled should start calling, or just try snow shoeing the last couple hundred yards. This is big country and I try to cover a lot of ground. I dont know how big there home range is so Im thinking about calling clearcuts about 2 miles apart. Or should I howl at night and locate them, then return later. or could they be any where the next day.
I make mental notes of tracks and usually they are going to check on elk or moose carcasses . I dont know if these coyotes will come into a snow shoe hare distress, or will any distress get them running in? Ive only hunted coyotes up here a couple of times with 3 coyotes coming in after I stuck my foxpro out the door of a cabin we are building and let out a coyote serinade. I went back to work and happened to look out side to see 3 coyotes 100 yards away. Too bad I didnt have a rifle.
Any suggestons would help.[:-]
Old 03-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: HIGH COUNTRY COYOTES?

i have never used a snowmobile to get to a stand and if i did here in the east i would be wasting my time.but since your out in gods country you most likly wouldn' t be setting up right on top of them.i still think the sled may work against you so i guess my advice would be to give things a while to settle down before you start calling.a coyotes range is very large and you could very well stay in one packs territory all day long.if the land is flat with few obstacles two miles may not be far enough apart,if its mountainous and or very hilly then several hundred yards might be plenty.i have always had good luck locating them at night with a howler tape then returning during daylight to work them in.but here in the east they don' t travel as far as they do out there so it may not be as productive.any distress call will spark an interest from coyotes but you should use the distress cries of pray animals that live in that area,this keeps things as realistic as possible.if snow shoes inhabbit your area then by all means use it.i was hoping somone from your part of the world would reply to this but since nobody did i thought i woulkd try,hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]