Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

backyard air gunners?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: backyard air gunners?

One caveat for those buying a spring piston air rifle, the reverse recoil they impart is a real scope destroyer, make sure that the scope you choose is rated for this type of air rifle. I'd love to be able to free up the coin for something from Feinwerkbau or one of the other higher end rifles.

I have several airguns for backyard plinking, a Daisy 1000 springer rifle(1K fps)and a Beeman springer pistol(400 fps). In addition to paper targets I have several spinning/resettable targets. I prefer the paper targets, especially when used with Shoot n' See stick ons, really makes it easy to see where you're hitting. I don't plink the local songbirds or squirrels, sometimes they even sit on nearby branches and watch me while I shoot. LOL
Old 05-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Daisy 1000s with scope. I have taken many squirrels and rabbits with this gun!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: A11en

Read your states hunting regulations and local laws. Most birds are protected and many towns prohibit the use of airguns in residential areas.
I'm sorry A11en, but did you say checkstate hunting regulations for the use of an AIRGUN on protected birds? WOW, you have got to be kidding me. Do you know how many bluejays I've killed since I was a young airgunner years ago? Thousands, plus tons of other birds that were most likely "protected". I can honestly saythat, while sitting on my back porch with a BB-gun, I have never wondered which one of these little boogersflying around is protected. I try to take em all out, because it's something we call FUN.Do you know how many squirrels I've killed with an airgun just playing around? Hundreds. And do you know that my granddaddy taught me how to shoot a gun by letting me take out Yellowhammers in his back yard with a .410? Yeah thats right I said Yellowhammers, our state bird down here in Alabama. Down here we call em sapsuckers cause they tear up trees just like a woodpecker, so we took care of the trees that the other "cute little birdies" nest in by killin sapsuckers. Where I live right now one of my neighbors owns quail houses. Well, of course there arehawks all over the place down here, so he sits outside and shoots hawks so they dont get his quails and cause him to lose money. Call me what you will, redneck, hick, anything.......but that's how we ALL were raised down here.Come on buddy, I'm sorry but I will never ever let somefooltell me I can't shoot an airgun in my own backyard.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I'm one of the carzy ones.I had a buddy who had a precharge airgun and after thinking about one for long enough,I had to have one.I had run into some extra cash and thought I'd go ahead with one.Man I've loved it.I've had plenty of off the shelve guns that I thought were pretty good but this thing don't mess around.It'll wear a squrriel and plenty of illegal birds out lol.I'm sure most would'nt be interested in spending the money but I just thought I'd let you all know about this gun.
http://crosman.com/site/listing/1395
Old 05-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

here in michigan the DNR wants us to take out starlings and english sparrows so i'm doing my part. i decided on a Gamo big cat 1200 and i'll probably get it sighted in tomorrow. i've been seeing lots of starlings in the yard a couple squirrels (for when small game opens) and sparrows here and there.

as soon as i get it sighted-in i'm gonna start sniping
Old 05-15-2008, 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Seif5034

here in michigan the DNR wants us to take out starlings and english sparrows so i'm doing my part. i decided on a Gamo big cat 1200 and i'll probably get it sighted in tomorrow. i've been seeing lots of starlings in the yard a couple squirrels (for when small game opens) and sparrows here and there.

as soon as i get it sighted-in i'm gonna start sniping
I think it's great that you've done a little research and are making an effort to thin outnon-native or over populated species. I was a little concerned there for a moment when you said you were baiting for birds to kill. But sounds like what you're doing is respectable.

I know that here in Florida there area number of green parakeetsrunningabout that don't belong. Large iguanas are also starting to find there way infrom the swamps... I saw a3ft monster iguana sunning on a dock the other day. They're a tad more aggressive than the averagelittle lizard and can inflict a nasty bite if you're not careful.

I would tend to frown on killing for the sake of it...or fun, as some would callit. Removing varmints (squirrels, pigeons, raccoonsand so forth) seemsacceptable to me. But if it's just like one or two little squirrelsrunning across my backyard,Idon't see myself justkilling it for sport.

I need to check now to see if I can take out iguanas and parakeets. I've seen iguanas hiding in my front hedge, but haven't found any within the privacy fence of my backyard yet. If I wandered out in the front yard with my rifle I'd have a swat team at my house courtesy of the neighbors.

People keep buying these stupid pets (iguanas,jungle birds, snakes) they get too big (or hungry) and they just turn em loose in the canal behind their house! ...they do pretty well in Florida.

There was a story on the news the other night about someone trying to kill a peacock with a BB gun. They reported it as being cruel and intentional because they shot it 6 times. I was thinking, man what a lousy shot... and they really need a good pellet gun. Peacocks are pretty but they sure are annoying! I can't blame anyone for wanting to knock out those things. ...but I guess they're protected or something cuz they're still looking for the guy/kid who shot at this one. Seemed odd to me cuz they're not a native species. I would think they'd want to remove those as opposed to protect em?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Starlings, english sparrows, black birds, and the common pigeon are not protected under the federal migratory bird treaty act and can be dealt with accordingly. The air gun use in city limits is another story.

I use a Gamo shadow 1000 for my shooting, or my home made blowguns. I have devistated the local song bird killers and squirrels for years with these tools.

I use beef fat in a wire mesh feeder for starlings, and old stale bread for english sparrows. Another effective way of luring in those sparrow is to get a wire cricket cage and fill it up with crickets, they can't resist. Other than that, cheapo mixed bird seed works for the rest.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BamaHuntin

I guess I'm one of the carzy ones.I had a buddy who had a precharge airgun and after thinking about one for long enough,I had to have one.I had run into some extra cash and thought I'd go ahead with one.Man I've loved it.I've had plenty of off the shelve guns that I thought were pretty good but this thing don't mess around.It'll wear a squrriel and plenty of illegal birds out lol.I'm sure most would'nt be interested in spending the money but I just thought I'd let you all know about this gun.
http://crosman.com/site/listing/1395
Hey ur not carzy im gonna get one of those soon enough. also you think your crazy check out these guys. http://www.network54.com/forum/414006
Have fun. I have a modded Daisy 880, it shoots Crosman Premier Hollow Points at a little over 700fps. It does a number on Sparrows, Starlings, Grackles, and Crows. I have yet to take a mammal though.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a proud airgunner. I have a Crossman 2100 and throughly enjoy it. Since moving to the city, I have to have something to keep me busy

I shot this group the other day. Vertical stringing is fairly normal with pnumatic air guns. One day I might do some testing and really test it's accuracy but for now, it's accurate enough for shootin' birds and squirrels.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Spike

I've got a Crosman 2100 just like that, except I don't have a scope on it. Nice scope by the way.

I was wondering if you have a good way to load pellets reasonably easily. maybe my hands are just too big to effectively drop one down in the loading port. Seems like I usually have to fiddle around with it to get the pellet aligned the right way in the port.

Considering picking up an RWS 350 .22 caliber break action air rifle. It's a little spendy though, hard to talk myself into since I've already go a .22LR and .22WMR, and can shoot the primer only loads in the .22LR for low power stuff.

Quick Reply: backyard air gunners?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.