HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - backyard air gunners?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 07:56 PM
XL Jedi

Default RE: backyard air gunners?

ORIGINAL: Seif5034

here in michigan the DNR wants us to take out starlings and english sparrows so i'm doing my part. i decided on a Gamo big cat 1200 and i'll probably get it sighted in tomorrow. i've been seeing lots of starlings in the yard a couple squirrels (for when small game opens) and sparrows here and there.

as soon as i get it sighted-in i'm gonna start sniping
I think it's great that you've done a little research and are making an effort to thin outnon-native or over populated species. I was a little concerned there for a moment when you said you were baiting for birds to kill. But sounds like what you're doing is respectable.

I know that here in Florida there area number of green parakeetsrunningabout that don't belong. Large iguanas are also starting to find there way infrom the swamps... I saw a3ft monster iguana sunning on a dock the other day. They're a tad more aggressive than the averagelittle lizard and can inflict a nasty bite if you're not careful.

I would tend to frown on killing for the sake of it...or fun, as some would callit. Removing varmints (squirrels, pigeons, raccoonsand so forth) seemsacceptable to me. But if it's just like one or two little squirrelsrunning across my backyard,Idon't see myself justkilling it for sport.

I need to check now to see if I can take out iguanas and parakeets. I've seen iguanas hiding in my front hedge, but haven't found any within the privacy fence of my backyard yet. If I wandered out in the front yard with my rifle I'd have a swat team at my house courtesy of the neighbors.

People keep buying these stupid pets (iguanas,jungle birds, snakes) they get too big (or hungry) and they just turn em loose in the canal behind their house! ...they do pretty well in Florida.

There was a story on the news the other night about someone trying to kill a peacock with a BB gun. They reported it as being cruel and intentional because they shot it 6 times. I was thinking, man what a lousy shot... and they really need a good pellet gun. Peacocks are pretty but they sure are annoying! I can't blame anyone for wanting to knock out those things. ...but I guess they're protected or something cuz they're still looking for the guy/kid who shot at this one. Seemed odd to me cuz they're not a native species. I would think they'd want to remove those as opposed to protect em?