Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Distress Calls???

Old 03-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Distress Calls???

Is it ok to go from one distress call to the other? I did'nt know if they would get suspicious.Where i'm hunting I've seen alot of rabbits,but their is also a pasture full of goats.I thought I'd try the rabbit in distress,and if that does'nt work after a whileI thought I'd try a baby goat in distress.What do you guys think?
James
Old 03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Distress Calls???

howls would work better right now,but changing sounds usually doesnt hurt anything,as a matter of fact some coyotes have heard so many rabbit sounds,and possibly busted or got shot at and missed by the hunter that they may come inwith a change of sounds,and coyotes are very smart,but unless they are very close when you change sounds I dont think that it will hurt,and with goats around the baby goat distress on that PM might be ones lucky ticket to doggy heaven in the back of your truck.thats very good thinking to use natural sounds that they may have heard before.Even though you could call one in with a snowshoe hare in distress sound in florida,they sometimes come to the call due to simple curiosity,not hunger though they are greedy animals,they some times rush in to beat others to the food hungry or not,changing sounds could very well help you.GOOD LUCK AND MAKE THEM GOAT SOUNDS.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I switch up calls all the time, but have never tried a baby goat call, although I'm sure it would work if you have them in your area. I will try 1 rabbit in distress call and if I get nothing I'll break out another rabbit in distress or mouse, etc. I've got close to a dozen of these distress calls.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Some times thats what it take. I was calling with a buddy of mine this year, it was october. On this farm there is an old dump way in the back of the property, it"s about 600 yards from the tree line we were calling from. Had two dogs come just out of the dump, looking our way. I turned the PM off, was using therabitt. They sat down on us, so I turned the volume down, and give"em just enough to move in, but nothin doin. I toyed with these two dogs for 20 minites. By mistake I hit the fawn in dis. about half volume. It"s on the same sound card, those two came running in like they were already shot at, only got one, but sometimes changing sounds is the best thing you can do.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

sometimes changing sounds is the best thing you can do
Yip, don't be afraid to try something different, even if the animal that makes the sound doesn't exist any where near your location. The coyotes don't know that and don't care!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

It"s friday night, nothin better than knowing your going out in the morning to call for some dogs saterday. Got one spot that has"nt been called since 06, gonna hit that and then 3 or 4 spots that are always good. No snow left to speak of in N. Illinois, so have to go with the army camo, but I think I"ll use distress call again, after a little howeling. Should be good, warm all week, tomorow will be back in the 30s in the morning. They should be readt to eat some waskly wabbit,,, and then some 32 grain rapid expantion 204 amo
Old 03-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Hey yodeldog3....did you have any luck? I did'nt get to go this morning.Storming like crazy all day.I went yesterday evening(Fri) but did'nt have any luck.I walked around in feild after the hunt with my flash light.The feild is growed up with sage grass but I found like five half eaten dead animals.4 goats and one house cat.They've definateley been in there.I guess I'm going to try it again Monday evening after work.
James
Old 03-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Hey bama man, Yeah, we did ok I spose. My buddy missed one at 55 yards at the first spot. He"s got a over-under 223-12 gage, and he went with the 223 for some strange reason, must of shot over it. At the last call of the morning, we had 3 dogs show up to the party, one stayed way out, one at oh say 65, and one at about 125. I took the far one and he took the close one. Both nasty mangey dogs, but at least there dead. The one only had one canine tooth in her whole head, was"nt that old, just not in good shape. would have been nice to take one, or both to the tax man, but oh well. Get after them monday night.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Atleast you had some action.I'm hoping to go either Monday or Tuesday.Turkey season is inaffect herenow so that will take up my weekends.Hopefully I can get some during the week.
James