Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

22lr

Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 PM

Default 22lr

Have you ever shot coyotes with the 22 long rifle??? My cousin won't use anything else and he puts one shot right behind the skull in the neck... Drops them instantly.

Just wanted to know if anyone else does this.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 PM

Default RE: 22lr

I have shot coyotes in a leg hold with a 22lr. When i am coyote hunting i use my .223. I think you will end up losing more yotes then ya take back to the truck hunting with a 22 IMO.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with bowfisher you will definately lose some,if you have any centerfire rifles or a shotgun and some #4 buckshot I would use either before the 22,I killed one that walked into range (a yearling)one year squirrel hunting at 40 yards with a 22lr,neck shot,but I have lost a couple more that were 50-60yard head shots that I saw run over several feilds and hollows,never to be found.So use enough gun to kill'em cleanly,I know it's a lowly coyote but I dont want any animal to die a slow,painful death with no chance of recovery,some people swear by the 22lr as being an efficent predator hunting caliber and it may be for them,but if you count what you kill cleanly with one shot and count what you have to shoot several times or it gets away and you dont find it,I'm sure that the get aways and several shooters will be a lot more than the one shot kills.I have only shot coyotes with a 22 by chance encounters,I have never carried any rifle that small to call in coyotes.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go agin!! Any cartridge will kill ifin the given range of its power stroke.I dont think a 22lr is a good coyote round,a 22wmr is ok and I have used it alot.If the hunter with one in his hand can shoot then it will be ok out to about 50 yards.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 AM

Look at it like this.

A regular old .22 Long Rifle - scope is designed to be used at a range of 50 yards.

The reason for that is because that is about the limit of it's effective range on most animals - due to the fact that the velocity suffers beyond that and the bullet drop is horrendous-even at just 100 yards it is a crap shoot - where it will hit.

The .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle has gone the way of the Do Do bird.

Like other forum members has already said, it is ok for use for trapping - where you do not want to do a lot of damage to it's pelt - and how far can it go when it is caught in a trap.

But for any serious hunting, you would not want to trust your life to a .22 Long Rifle.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perfect bullet placement probably will drop one "instantly", but any thing else will probably be a lost cause. A coyote could easliy be hit by a .22lr and run off like you missed, and you'd never know you hit it.

When I was teenager, I lived on the farm in KS. We had a "snow day" so I was home frmo school. I got my .22lr Marlin out to go rabbit hunting. I was walking our shelter belt around the farm when I spotted a coyote running by at about 50 yards. I got three shots at it, had no idea if I had hit it, but I got on its tracks to follow it. I found it dead about 200 yards later. First coyote that I got to take to the fur buyers. When he skinned it, we found that I had hit it once, in the lungs. It never dropped a single drop of blood in 200 yards, even though I had hit it in the lungs. ANd that's where theproblem lies with the .22lr, a tiny entrace with no exit = no blood trail. I even cringe when I here guys spouting to take "head shots" only. If you can't hit an egg, then that's not the shot to take, because the brain is the only part of the head that will kill the coyote. Anything else, is a wounded coyote.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

As said bullet placement is the key, allot of practice an know how your gun shoots. I shoot a 10/22 tricked out an I know where I shoot at 100yds in the right conditions, 22lr is not an ideal 100yd gun on animals, I've never shot one past 60yds with my 10/22 and the head shot just makes them drop never had one run. I stepped up an us a 22wrm now and still all have been under 100yds but I've passed on several becuase of not offering the ideal head shot or just to far. Got to know your limits an the guns.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 PM

Yep... Agreed. He shot all his within 40 yards. We hunt in brush and forested mountains were you can't see more than fiftyIn fact one was shot at 8 yards!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:02 PM

It all has to do with the range and shoot placement. If you get them in the head,neck, or vitals at 50 yards or less.