Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

"Backyard control"

Old 02-22-2008, 12:12 AM

Default "Backyard control"

Ok...Here's the situation. I'm 16 and ever since I was little i've wanted to hunt, but my mom doesn't agree with it(dad doesnt mind, just shes a little controlling). Recently, after havin SIX squirrels and two opussums fall into our fireplace, my dad concluded that I shouldget an air rifle for small pest control in the yard. I would be getting an air rifle and I know that .22 caliber pellets are more fit for hunting. My question is how many FPS would i need in a gun to take out a squirrel? Possum? Possibly Raccoon? I was thinking of the crosman 2250xt, which gets about 550-600 FPS in .22 cal. Would this be enough power to take out a raccoon with a well placed shot? If you have any suggestions on other guns under 200$, i would appreciate it very much.

Thanks for your time and help.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: "Backyard control"

I would stick with 177 cal pellets, they are the most common and will perform just fine. Check out Cabelas, they offer several guns that will shoot over 1000 fps for under or at $200. Dont forget that even shooting some rodents in your own backyard, you will need to follow all state game laws. This would be a great excuse to take hunters safety if havent done so already. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

yes skitch, If you want to do it right you should take a hunter ed. course. It may even get you the in"s with your mom. If I were you I would look at the(gamo) air rifels, the .177 coated pellets can get up to 1200 fps. Well placed head shots will take out coons no problem. I have one, the barrel breaks down to load the pellet and cocks at the same time. I have taken many squirls, rabbits, and once even a skunk. dropped it like a cold turd. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Skitch,

My eight year old son shoots a gamo640 (640 fps). He's taken several squirrels with well placed shots, but he's also lost several. For small game hunting, you really need 1000 fps or more. My 11 year old shoots a gamo 220 (1000fps) and has taken squirrels, possum, and coons. Not to mention a few crows. The 640fps air rifle could never take a coon. In addition to following state game laws, make sure your town does not have an ordinance against airguns. You can call the local police or sherrif department.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yah, a 177 pellet over 1000 fps. By way, that is a hunting rifle and needs to be treated like one. One of my co-workers was hit by a package like this. Ended up in the hospital ICU for a stretch. If you are town shooting, I sincerely recommend you use a spotter to make sure noone blunders into your trajectory while your attention is on target and trigger pull.