Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

UV light, true or crap

Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default UV light, true or crap

What's the deal with deer and predators seeing UV light.
You know when people say that they will see you ( your clothes ) glow like a light bulb.
Is this true or just a bunch of crap?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: UV light, true or crap

Does a UV bulb put out much light? I have never heard of one being used while hunting.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

hey you can get UV killer at you local sporting goods stores.And I have read articles about it on deer seeing UV rays and certain colors better than others,mainly blue.I have never read about predators seeing like this I will have to do some research.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crap
Do a google search of "rods and cones in UV light" you will get hits on several sites that explain how these photoreceptors work.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Typical Buck

hey 2robinhood I found a webpage on this subject it has some good information,I worked at a laundry detergent factory,as a mechanic for several years,normal detergents have two brightening agents added to them,tinepol,and optiblance are the names of these chemicals you could get it on your hands and they would practically glow in the dark if any light was introduced,go to www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/hunting-gear/RA_0807_09/ and check out this article.I have seen these brighteners used by modern detergent company's for the last 6 years in my job they make your clothing glow in the UV spectrum that is visible to deer,but not humans,it may be crap but I always use a UV free detergent for all my hunting clothes and scent free also,after you have treated your clothes with UVkiller common baking soda also works.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

From a university study, draw your own conclusion.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the backup kevin1 the chart you have clearly shows that animals do see the short UV waves far better than humans.thanks.