Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

i am sick of this

Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: i am sick of this

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

haha i'm a law student half way to becoming a "scummy lawyer" but just for the record if you start taking the law into your own hands you are playing a dangerous game. we have problems with trespassers too and the thought occured to use a nail board to take out tires and such, but we made a point to ask a DEC officer and he said we can be held liable if someone were hurt. You have to think about it this way, what if someone hits your trap and blows out a tire but it doing so they lose control, hit a tree and die.
You just have to be smart enough to set the trap in a spot where the vehicle has to slow down to a crawl such as a narrow spot or sharp bend, that eliminates the danger of them losing control and getting hurt. It also ensures that the vehicle will be disabled well inside your property line. It's also a good spot to set up the trail cam that's juuuuust out of their reach...
Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: i am sick of this

Haha believe me you are preaching to the choir on this one, I was just explaining the rationale behind landowners being held liable. It seems like opening day we spend half the time hunting game and half the time hunting trespassers, i think for some of them it become like a game to see if they can sneak on someone's land and not get caught...drives me nuts. We usually give out one warning to stay off, but if we catch someone twice the DEC officers get involved. One time i asked a guy to step out of his truck so we could settle this like gentlemen but he drove off instead