Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Did we all just forget????

Old 11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Did we all just forget????

I know the 17 hmr is all the rage right now. Its speed is close to the same as 17 remington and price is comparible to the 22 lr because its a rimfire. Thats what attracted me to it at first also. I bought my henry golden boy chambered in the 17hmr. I put a scope on it. I had several kills with the gun. Its great up to about ground hog sized game. Then, and I'm sorry if I offend people here, but it doesn't hold up to the 22 magnum. I've had the same 22 magnum for almost 14 years now and have killed several coyotes and foxs with it. I primarily take head shots with these. I took the some of the same type of shots with 17 and it just didn't hold up for me. I know we've had this debate several times over which is better, but I'm just wondering when we all forgot about the old trust worthy 22 magnum. I went to gander mountain yesterday and out of 30 rifles there were 8 that were 22 LRs and 3 that were 22 mags. I'm guessing its just fashion but what do yall think? Does it seem like the 22 mag is just forgotten?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:58 PM

Default RE: Did we all just forget????

Regardless of the .17 I still believe that the .22lr and .22 mags are better. I have shot a .17 and it was not bad but I still like the .22 better. The .22 mags however I dont think are forgotten but the popularity of them due to all the new calibers of rifles the companies are coming out with has dropped. I still would like the .22 mag of .17. But thats just one mans opinion.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Default RE: Did we all just forget????

I was just thinking the same thing the other day. My neighbor went out and purchased a .17 HMR and outfitted it with every accessory known to man. When he brought it over to show me we went to CCI's website to compare the ballistics of it to it’s parent cartridge the .22 mag, and found that the .17 has a slightly flatter trajectory, but .22 mag has the down range energy. I had been considering the .17 HMR for my next rim fire until I read the numbers. It will be a .22 mag for me.