Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

07 Predator contest submission pics.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 07 Predator contest submission pics.

OK, so I had a buddy call me yesterday morning at about this time, and said he had a rancher call him and wanted us to come and try to kill a few more coyotes because he was calving and seeing more of them than he liked. SO, we drove 90 miles to try our luck. We didn't have much luck, which didn't surpriseus with temps. getting into the 60's, but we did manage to call in 3 and kill two of them. All three came to howls and yips, no distress sounds worked. Here's the only one I got to shoot at. My buddy lazered the range at 320 yards. I hit her the first shot and she was doing the death spin,so I hit her again, which knocked her over, but she got up and was still trying to go, so I hit her again. First two shots were probably killing shots, third shot I hit her high in the front leg. Pretty badly rubbed on the hind hips and sides. We saw 2 other coyotes but didn't get them called in. It was sandhill country, and it's a challenge to call and kill coyotes in. One moment you see them coming over a small hill, then they're gone, then you see them again coming over another small hill, then they're gone again. It becomes a guessing game as to where you will see them again, and if they're still coming or if they are now going.Fun country to call in, but challenging none-the-less.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

way to go howler! I'm goin to try my luck this evening. I got about 8 hours of scrubbing to do on my semi before I can play tho.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

8 hrs. of scrubbin', sounds like more fun than one man should have.
What a difference 24 hours can make. upper 60's and 70's for the last two days, and today we got high winds, 4"-8" of snow forcasted with a high of 33 degrees! Looks like 'ol man winterisn't done yet!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only spent 4 hours scrubbing Said the heck with getting it too clean till summer.

THe wind blew 20-40mph all weekend here, no calling for me.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Old 03-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

I know what you mean Howler, in the sandhills you can see two miles, but you can"t see 100 yards. Inbetween pickin sand burrs out of yor backside!!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhh, we out here in the west have and use without fail a neat little tool that we don't leave home without, it's called a butt pad!In this part of the country, you don't sit down, kneel down, or put your hand down on the ground with out at least doing a thorough search for cactus!! I've fallen down and I have put my hand down in it and it only takes once to learn!! Even I can learn that lesson very quickly!![8D]

#40fan, I'll get some points added for ya!! Did that one come to the call?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Not really sure, Howler.

I called for about 30 minutes using only howls except for right at the end, I decided to throw in some fawn in distress. When I decided to call it quits, I stood up and started to reel in my speaker cord and spotted that dog trotting off from me. He was about 100 yards when I seen him and he was directly in front ofwhere I was sitting. So I am not sure if he was there the whole time, or somehow sneaked in on me. I was sitting on a hill with an unobstructed view of where he was, but never did see anything until I was picking up my gear.

Only dog I saw all morning too.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

It never stops amazing me how it is that when you set up and can see "everthing" for several hundred yards, but yet some how one will just "pop up" from no where right infront of you. I've back tracked several over the years just to see how they got to me without seeing them coming, and often times I had no excuse because from the tracks in the snow, they were in sight but for what ever reason, I just didn't see them coming.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ITS SNOWING ITS SNOWING!

Maybe if it snows enough, I will be able to see them come in. I'm tired of looking for 'em in the brown landscape. [:@]

Quick Reply: 07 Predator contest submission pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.