Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Wounded Yote Question.

Old 01-06-2003, 11:19 AM

Default Wounded Yote Question.

I shot two coyotes while hunting one morning. I dropped one in its tracks; the other I hit too far back with buckshot. It spun around for a few seconds and bedded down in a ditch in a pine thicket. I couldn't get a shot at it, but I knew it was still alive. After an hour I decided to try to slip up on him to get a shot, but he crawled away without me seeing him. I wasn't sure about trying to trail a wounded dog through thick pines so I let him go. I know they are more afraid of me...etc, what would you experts have done in this situation?

I shot another yote that was chasing deer yesterday. It was the same place I shot the other two. I hit him in the head with a .308 so he didn't go anywhere.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wounded Yote Question.

well if it was in an area that i could see to a certain degree i would have gone after him.but if i had to get on my hands and knees and couldn't see two feet i would have waited till the next day any way.but chances are you wouldn't find him.a wounded-cornered coyote will deffend himself so a little common sense goes along way in these situations.i guess this one you can chalk up to experience and hopfully you learned that a coyote is a tough critter and shot placement is critacal,regardless if its a rifle or shotgun.but unfortunetly we are all only human and we are apted to mistakes once in a while.

Edited by - coyoteseeker on 01/06/2003 16:40:05
Old 01-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have gone looking for him, with shotgun at the ready. I shotguuned a coyote just a couple years ago, in a pretty open pasture, he was only wounded, but I could see him trying to go, so I went after him. He was not cornered at all, but when he saw me giving chase, he turned and came at me with one heck of an attitude. So, he got another load of buck shot, but this time at about 15'. SO, they will fight, and they don't necassarily have to be cornered to do so. But, I, with shotgun in hand, would give chase and be at the ready at all times for that possible quick and close encounter. I guess if the cover was so thick that I had to crawl through it, I would probably wait until the next day to look, but if I could see even a short distance, I'd look for him.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM

I shot him in the rear because he was a dark colored yote and he was in the shadow of a tree. It looked like he was facing me but he was facing away and I shot him right in the rear with 00 Buck at about 25 yards. He was bleeding alot. I could see a blood trail after he got up and left but it was very thick and close quarters in small pines. I would not have been able to turn around with my gun without hitting a tree. I just didn't know if they would attack if wounded and caught by surprise. Howler answered that question. I don't think it would be wise for anyone to chase one alone in my situation.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:13 PM

IMO, 00 is a bit too big for yotes. See if you can find some 0 or #1 buckshot, and try that. Just be sure to have a 3 or 3 and a half inch load.

Kris
Old 01-08-2003, 08:59 AM

I was deer hunting and they happened to come by my stand. By the way can they see color? I had my orange vest on and they never saw me. I guess they can't.