Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wounded deer question

Old 05-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wounded deer question

Last gun season, my good buddy took a shot at a monster buck, and it fell to the ground and started thrashing and kicking, but then it got up and ran off with no blood trail....they looked for hours but found nothing. Does anybody have any idea what maight have happened, because it still baffles us.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wounded deer question

Two seasons ago my son had a big 8 point come through and he shot it with a .300 Mag. At the sound of the gun it dropped. He went over and touched it on the eye just because you should and it blinked! He shot it through the neck and upon skinning it we found his first shot had just grazed the skull between the antlers hitting the base of one. I've seen other times when a graze on the head puts them down kicking but when they recover there's no sign at all. Just a thought!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

My best guess was that he hit it in the antlers. He was using a 20 gauge slug gun.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The shock of the bullet impact probably knocked him down. Temporary nerve damage[&:]. There is going to be very little or no blood trail if avital organ or artery was not hit. If no vitals were hit, then the buck should survive no problem. The only other problem would be if an infection would set in. Even then, the deer can still survive. Deer are very hardy animals and can survive after being severely wounded.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

We think we saw him a couple weeks later alive and well. He had a very wide spread and i did get some video of a large buck at night (in my youtube link at the bottom of the page), but, since we live in a great deer area, its hard to tell alot of the bucks apart.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

If you hit one too high in the shoulder, it will will strike the animal inthe vertebrae, which puts the animal in a temporary shock. Then it will recover and be gone with little sign of any kind of hit. If you look at a deer skeleon you will notice wher ethe shoulders are the back bone dips down, however the vertebrae are longer there ans stick up even with the rest of the backbone. If hit it will just shock the spinal cord temporarily dropping the animal.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

probably a shoulder shot that didnt shoot through both shoulders
Old 05-22-2008, 01:47 PM

Same thing kind of happened to me. I shot at a doe and it fell, rolled over a few times, and got up and ran off. My dad and I checked where the deer dropped and just found a handful of hair. We followed its tracks for about 100 yards and found nothing else. We figured that i just grazed part of him.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

either a shoulder shot or an antler shot
Old 05-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: CSIMAN08/OH

My best guess was that he hit it in the antlers. He was using a 20 gauge slug gun.
Was he aiming for the head?If so that is very unethical,and has to be the most unethical shot a hunter can take.Do the animal your hunting a favor and don't aim for a head shot.Sure it will drop them dead but if your off just an inch or two,your gonna shoot the jawbone off and it will starve to death.

Quick Reply: Wounded deer question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.