Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

07 Predator Only Contest

Old 09-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 07 Predator Only Contest

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jrbhunter

Put me on a team that has no chance.... and call us the inevitable winners.
[/quote

I didn' see myself listed on any team, did I not qualify somehow?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jrb, I'll have ya on my team, after all, it might take 4 of us to win since others got to start before the official starting time
Old 09-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got him on a Team..sorry man.. I did not count any entries before Teams will picked!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Brod_Man

i need some info on yote hunting. i know this is a dumb question, but would a .410 slug be sufficient for a yote? if so what would the max distance you would shoot one with it. also would 20 ga. 7 1/2 shot mess up fur? idk if i could even get a yote within 30yds. but just wonderin. ive never hunted before.
Hey Brod man, I would think a 4-10 slug should be good for say 50 yards, when shotgunning yotes, we use minimum copper plated BB shot, and typ. we use 12 ga. but I'm not saying 71/2 won't kill just its gonna open up too fast and yes there would be alot of holes in the hide. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

thanks. what about a .22?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Brod_Man

thanks. what about a .22?
Sure,as you know, guns kill, some just better than others, maybe i shouldn't say better, just there are different choices for each situation. when gun hunting and not worrying about the hide i actually prefer my .300 winmag, I have shot it alot and feel very comfortable with it out to 400-450 yards, i also have a .22-250, i shoot prairie dogs with, its fast, flat, and very accurate , it also depends on your terrain, ie. trees, forests to open fields and range like me,here inCentral Kansas, i can hunt both, river and creek bottoms to several sections of nothing but native prairie grass.i also bowhunt deer and have taken several predators while bowhunting. to answer your question, yes, a .22 will work, but first,know where you are going to hunt, and let that dictate your choice of weapon. also what you can afford, if i were going in on a limited budget for a rifle, i would buy a used 30-06 bolt action with a good scope as they are cheap, or can be, the ammo is also very reasonable and honestly its a gun you can use to take any of the north american species except maybe griz and polar bear, and i'm not planning on either lol.here in kansas, the biggest animal would be Bison. imo, use stealth, ie. camo clothing or blinds, be quiet always, use scent control on everything, if you use alot of the bowhunters tactics for deer, it will make you more successful with predators. GOOD LUCK, Zmax

This is my 05' buck i shot from 10 yards (bow kill) off the ground, it was an intense moment, kinda slow-motion

Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

the thing is, i could probably buy a perfect yote rifle, but my dad probably wouldnt let me. so im so out of what i have, which is .410, .22, 20ga. pellet gun. if dad would let man what a collection id have, but ill see about getting a good rifle, cause i want to hunt yotes this year.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys...I'm am dropping out of running this contest.I have another contest to run...

Say hello to the new guy HOWLER!!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

SO, since I'm now the new SHeriff in town, I'm going to try to straighten out a couple of things that changed on the fly in this contest. SO, please see the new thread on "Predator contest, take two" and hopefully I can realign this train.