Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Question about Burris Ballistic Plex and .243 >

Question about Burris Ballistic Plex and .243

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Question about Burris Ballistic Plex and .243

Old 09-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question about Burris Ballistic Plex and .243

Hi Guys. I've beencalling coyotes for 2 years now and got tired of shooting my expensive deer bulletsout ofmy 30.06 at them (leaves a big bloody mess in my truck too). I bought a Browning A-bolt in .243 from a friend and recently mounted a Burris 3X9X40 ballistic plex scope on Talley one-piece mounts.

I would like to hear from someone who is using a Burris scope with the Ballistic Plex Reticle. I am interested in learning what loads you shoot and how you are using the ballistic plex reticle with shots at 200, 250, 300, etc.

I understand the basic principles of this- the tick marks on the verticle crosshair correspond to the POI formost commonly used loads from popular calibers at 100, 200, 300 and so forth (+/- an inch or two as shown in the charts on the Burris website). I plan on using the "cheap" Federal power shock 100gr bullets to sight in and hunt coyotes this fall. The gun may be used on deer by my son (maybe me too for late season doe management) so I'm sticking with the 100 grainers for now. Next season I may switch to a smaller bullet (for instance the 80 gr speer at 3300 fps in the Federal line) for better long range ballistics.

Most of my shots on coyotes are inside 200yards,but I have the potential to shoot much further than that on land that I hunt. As I learn more about this gun, loads, and scope I look forward to having that opportunity.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and expertise.

Mouthcaller
Jackson, TN