Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyotes and Baitpiles?

Old 08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coyotes and Baitpiles?

Do coyotes usually respond to piles of meat layed out? I was wondering cuz we have a bunch of old meat in our deep freeze and instead of just throwing it out I was going to try and use it to bait some coyotes.
Has anyone ever had luck with baiting?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyotes and Baitpiles?

It doesn't work in my part of the country, but it might in your neck of the woods. Only way to find out is to try it
Old 08-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thing with baiting is that you need to have a consistant amount of bait. It may or may not take coyotes several days to find it, and chances are when they first find it, it will be night time. So, once they find it and eat it, you will need to add to it or refresh it enough times that they learn that it is a consistant food source and eventually they may, or may not, start visiting the sight during day light hours and then it'll be up to you to be watching when they hit it during the day time, which could be very hit and miss.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Where im at, if you shoot a deer in the morning, that afternoon when you go back to your stand the gut pile is alwayscompletely gone. If you were going to use meat scraps your definitly going to need a bucket, so they can't eat it all in one sittting.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:22 PM

unless your gonna watch that pile for a long time it may not pay off. But you can put up a camera on it to see what and when things come in.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 PM

i put a sonnys barbacue take out boxwith ,chikcen rib, and,pork leftovers in it and i got ome pics of a bocat and a coyote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

A freezer with 700 lbs of various meat was purposely unplugged by someone unknown. All of the meat was tossed into a trash pit that was within a half mile of where I had seen coyotes. After a month of checking the pit looking for signs of coyotes, not one package had been ripped open enough to make me think that a coyote had been there. It looked more like birds had pecked through it. After two weeks it stunk so bad in that area that I had to plug my nose to walk up there and check.

Back in Dec., Jan., and Feb. we had a lot of snow storms. Many cows were dying. One farm/ranch that I hunt piled all of the deads in one spot. I went out on three separate weekends to look for coyote signs near the deads. Nothing went close to them, but 50 yards in almost every direction was coyote tracks.

They are strange animals and I am by no means a skilled coyote killer. Still trying to figure them out myself.