Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Lost one arrow........

Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Lost one arrow........

Today I was shooting my homemade arrows with my 30# bowat some construction sign I found in the road. It is made outof thesame material as a stop sign, and about the same amount of thickness and everything. I was only 18 feet away when I shot an arrow and it went wide by 1 foot or so. My next shot nailed the sign, blew it back, and the wooden arrow tore threw the left side of the sign. It was amazing. How does a 30# bow let wooden arrows that are so fragile penetrate and blow through thick metal like that? It was pretty close, but not point blank range. At 18 feet it should not have done this, not that much power. Now my arrow that took me a while to build has a split tip, it looks like a bullet when shot into a wall. I know it was dumb of me to shoot an arrow at metal but I was bored and expieremneting
Old 08-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lost one arrow........

Impressive penetration for such a lightweight bow, especially with such a fragile arrow.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:22 AM

Cool

Old 08-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Try fire-hardening the tips.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:13 PM

I do fire harden the tips, well most of my arrows. I have only a total of 18 arrows and I can't go back to the woods to get more because I took all the straight willow wood in the Forest. I really need to fletch my arrows, the cheap way. Grouse or Dove Feathers in the tail, and electric tape. My arrows should fly correctly then, and then I won't have to get so damn close to a Rabbit ( 15 feet). I have only taken 1 Rabbit with my un-fletched arrows. Not a pretty kill eitheir. At about 12 feet the arrow curved a tad bit and nailed the Rabbit by entering it sideways. With feathers I should have went directly into the Rabbit for a clean kill. But it still effective. The rabbit kicked around, a heavy arrow holding it down, the arrow entering its side chest and coming out underneath it's flesh. nasty. but not wasted. I think I know how to make feathers fit onto a shaft. correct me if im wrong. I split the feathers stem all the way down with a knife, which then I get two fetahers.Then I pluck away tiny bit feathers at front of the feather and leave half centimeter room for electric tape. Same with back of feather. I do this for all feathers, then finish it off with electric tape. last but not least i get sap from tree and smear it on the middle part of the feather, where its loose, and that drys and bonds base of feather with shaft.. well i think thats it, not shure.