Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1st back tension shot = lost arrow >

1st back tension shot = lost arrow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st back tension shot = lost arrow

Old 05-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 1st back tension shot = lost arrow

I went to a ASA qualifier 3-D shoot today with ausie-guy and another friend, Kyle. Ausie knew I was interested in a new release so he let me try his T.R.U. Ball Extreme back tension release. I should have tried on a hay bail first. 1st shot sailed well over the target and into the woods. That was the only shot I attempted with it. Ausie let me borrow it. Tomorrow at home,(I'm at work now), I'll try it from 5 yds at a hay bail. that was so different from what I'm used to. Kyle also gave me a release to try. A T.R.U. Ball caliper. He told me to keep it if I like it. So I'm swapping him a Jo-Jan fletcher for it. I think this may be more to my liking. I'm rather intimidated by the back tension.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 1st back tension shot = lost arrow

Hey who won?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:10 PM

at least you didnt give yourself a bloody nose
Old 05-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, im not a big fan of the back tenison mainly because i am hunting the majority of the time
Old 05-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Hey who won?
Well the correct answer would be, We all won! we had a great time busting chops and shooting. But to get down to the truth of the matter, well, I beat Ausie by 10 points! Kyle smoked us both.

Disclaimer: to Ausie's credit he was shooting open class, I was shooting novice. My stakes were 30yd max. His were 45 yd max. This time it was 15 known yardage and 15 unknown and they didn't help me on the unknown. So I beat him but we're comparing apples and oranges. I shot a 272 out of a possible 360. This was my second 3-D and I feel pretty good about the results, and we did have fun!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:44 AM

I was messin around w/ back tension last year myself. When I got it to work the way it is suppose to, it scared the CRAP outta me..But the arrow hit where I wanted it. So it went for a while, then I punched myself right in the eye.....That was the end of that.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Whats the benifit of a back tension release?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

As you have already experienced,a transition to a back tension style release needs to be done in close quarters until you have a comfort level with drawing,holding and executing your shots.There are manufacturers that make back tension releases with safety's so you can draw with out popping yourself in the face.Carter immediately comes to mind.
Sounds like you had a great time with some Hunting Net buddies!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Although I've never tried it, the back tention release soundslike it would be a bit awkward shooting down from a treestand with. I'll stick with my Hurricane.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah we had a great time and yep Greg done me by 10 points.

I did get to see one of Greg's flyerson the practice range and thought to myself why in the heck did he short draw and release.

He came wandering up to us with a very dejected look on his face.

It worked out that his shoot almost ended before it started his loop broke[:@].

Now me being the nice guy that I am took his bow to the truck and replaced his loop ( we always carry a tool box filled with goodies for just an emergency) I could have said well tough luck there mate guess ya just gonna have to shoot fingersseeing you opted out of the recurve challange

So seeing Greg decided not to bring his recurve I decided to use my Commander

I tell ya what those 15 known distancetargets brought me undone[8D]the distance sheet they gave us was wrong I was dialing my scope in for their distance only to work out that I had to add around 2.5 yards to their distance[:@]

Kyle and I have decided from now on we are gonna judge the distance then look at their sheet and then shoot for the distance we judge, unless they have used a tape measure instead of a range finder to get the distance.

With a bit of luck Greg will be able to join us again next Saturday in Paris and just maybe this time he will step up and shoot from the same stake as we do instead of the kidie stakes 15 yards in front of us[8D]

Quick Reply: 1st back tension shot = lost arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.