Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Turtle Recipes

Old 06-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Turtle Recipes

Im going to start setting out some turtle lines here in a couple of days and wanted to know if you guys had any recipes you are willing to share. Your help is appriciated!!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:09 PM

Default RE: Turtle Recipes

Go in to interactive and check out the recipes there.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, you can substitute turtle for anything pork goes in.Make sure all the fat is gone.It gives the meat a funny taste. I use turtle in enchaladas, soup, sometimes I pound pieces out and bread them and fry them. Meat is meat, just cook it the way you like it.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Ive got some ideas that make pork awsome that Im will give a try. I know that if you let them sit in clean water for about a week it helps get some of the impurities out and the meat gets tender because they dont use there muscles at much.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Once the river here drops down, i am gonna be jug lining for snapping turtles and softshell turtles. What kind of lines do you use?

I don't have time to go into it here, but look up the recipe for sauce piquante. Turtle goes great in it. Also, you can dip the turtle meat in flour, then brown it good, then cook it in a crock pot.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM

How do you uys make a turtle line? Do they catch them and you kill them or does the trap kill them?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im in the practice of catching them alive. Nobody will buy a dead turtle because they dont know how long its been dead. Take the fishing poles out and catch some. some good stout muskie rods with 30-50# line should do it with a chunk of cut blueguill near shore where theres plenty of weeds.Go just about 1\2 hour before dark and stay a couple hours.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tie about three feet of heavy braided line with a 2/0 hook and about a half ounce weight to a milk jug and bait it with a chicken gizzard. Throw it a couple feet off the bank. If a snapper gets on it, it will head up against the bank or get tangled in some brush nearby. If a big catfih gets on it, you will have one hell of a chase.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

I just tight line them, meaning I take some heavy line and tie it off to anything, tree, root, rock. Any hook will work I guess, but I have my best luck with treble hooks because somtimes they will rip the bait of a regular hook with there claws and if they try that with a treble hook it will hook them in the foot and holds them pretty good. Jugging is probably the funnest way if you ask me, catch alot of catfish also this way. I do use a turtle trap also, Ive made them out of everything from chain link fence, to fish net, and snow fence.