Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

fox, yotes and calls!!!

Old 12-20-2002, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default fox, yotes and calls!!!

i have been predator hunting for the last 4 years now and never had a coyote ever come in to my calls. i have only taken fox. i see them all the time from the road when im driving so i know there in the area. the only call i use is a cotton tail in distress. Also i have another question, any you guys use a mouse call to bring in a fox or yote, i am going out this weekend and want to try a bunch of different things. any feed back would be great!!!
good hunting

Old 12-20-2002, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fox, yotes and calls!!!

jmac33, I'd guess that if the fox are coming to your calling, then your sounds should be good enough to bring in a coyote or two. I'm not sure why your not bringing coyotes. I don't know your area, but, around here, the coyotes and fox don't really share the same areas. These are red fox that I'm talking about. So, I don't know if that applies to your area or not. You might try a new call, look at a more course sounding call, such as jack rabbit sound. And as far as the mouse call, I don't use a call that sounds like a mouse so to speak, I do lip squeek to finish the deal when I have a coyote or fox or cat coming. Something about lip squeeking that the critters really like. Some guys suck on the back of thier hands to get this lip squeek sound, I simply make a kissing sound with my lips. I'm going out this weekend too. Good Luck!!
Old 12-21-2002, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: fox, yotes and calls!!!

howler is right,if your bringing in fox then your doing somthing right.but one thing must be under stood,you will get away with making some or even alot of mistakes with fox,coyote you won't.details are very important when working coyotes.details like,can they get down wind of you without you seeing them?is your truck visable from your stand or will a coyote have to run by it to get to you? does your camo work well with your surroundings? are you moving around to much? and the list goes on and on.if your seeing alot of red fox then theres a good chance theres no coyote around.even though they both inhabit the same type terrain a coyote will kill a red fox on sight.when targeting coyote,try useing or finding a spot that would be more geared towards deer huntin rather then fox huntin.this can be very effective way of doing it but it also can be very ineffective if in the wrong spot.i see your from ny also so you would know that a typical deer stand around here will have limmited visability,this can be a draw back so pick your stand carefully.make sure you use the wind to your advantage and make sure you have good visability on the down wind side or both sides of the directly down wind side.this i know is easyer said then done.on the other hand theres no reason why you can't use a fox stand for coyote,just as long as theres coyote there.even if a scouting trip shows alot of sign,it doesn't mean they will be there when you sit and call.coyotes are always on the move and have large areas they inhabit.this is why it is very important to have access to lots of land in lots of different areas.if one stand doesn't produce then move on to another.huntin coyotes is no easy task here in ny but don't let it get to you,stick with it and in time it will all fall into place.