Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

-Fox killed, but Which caliber?

Old 03-24-2007, 06:01 PM

Default RE: -Fox killed, but Which caliber?

So, is 223 pretty much the caliber to use when fox hunting? I'm new to the hunting scene and definitely want to avoid doing that to a fox.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Who cares....
Old 03-26-2007, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Wow!!!! your cool. Go back to Jr. High now.
Dont know what your problem is, as far as I know 30.06 is one of the best allround calibers to use. I was not going to eat the fox

Old 03-26-2007, 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: B.B.A.

Dont know what your problem is, as far as I know 30.06 is one of the best allround calibers to use. I was not going to eat the fox
best all around for big game maybe but i would never use it on any small game i was planning on getting fur from...like the fox. if ur gonna kill something u might as well use its resources.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: B.B.A.

You post up a picture of a fox with a huge hole in it. 99% of people that harvest fox use their pelts or sell them. The only reason you posted was to BRAG.

Maybe next time you blow a critter in half you can post up, I shot this critter and I was wondering what a better choice of a cartridge to use so I don't totally wreck the pelt.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

You post up a picture of a fox with a huge hole in it. 99% of people that harvest fox use their pelts or sell them. The only reason you posted was to BRAG.

Maybe next time you blow a critter in half you can post up, I shot this critter and I was wondering what a better choice of a cartridge to use so I don't totally wreck the pelt.
Sorry if I offended you, It was not my intention to "brag".The reason why I posted the picture was beacuse I have never experienced this impact on other foxes I've killed using my 30.06 and norma alaska. Usually the bullet just goes right through the fox and leave nothing but a small hole. I assume that if you wanna keep the pelt you could use a smaller caliber, but I do not own any smaller calibers, only bigger. Here in sweden the fox is considered as a serious predator and they prey on pretty much all smaller animals they can get, such asroedeer fawns, forest birds, rabbits. Not many swedish hunters will take the pelt from a fox (or another predator) other than perhaps bear. The reason: Pelt prices is very bad...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

here we go...
Old 03-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

Fox are a very tough animal to judge what to shoot with because they are fast running, light skinned, and once you take the fur hes not a great deal bigger than a jack rabbit. ive seen numerous fox that were shot with every intention of beeing skinned and sold and they were killed by a 22-250 and had great big wholes in them, then again youve just got to break out the needle and thread. in my opinion as long as they arent 'hot' reloads any thing from a 220 swift to a 17 will get the job done.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

i will have to guess a 7mm or a .308
Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 PM

Wow is all I can say,