Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote hunter problems

Old 03-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: coyote hunter problems

No, the spear I have no skill with... The Tomahawk well not exacly, I did toss a size 11 boot at one as it was eating cat food from the dish on the deck....

Lanse, Purist I am, but to not that extreme, I definately agree they take a enormous toll on all ground nesting birds, rabbits and by enlarge deer... I do agree they need to be hunted and hunted is one thing... I just implying that taking them off the road, on sleds and other ways, that dont fall in the fair chase catagory shouldnt be considered hunting... Just my oppion, In which the post was started about the total disregard to Tresspassing, that goes without speaking...

Mike

Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

dog hunting is alot of fun. give it a try, then decide.

our dog running doesn't open here until after deer season. that's the simple solution----state agencies don't usually do things the simple way, though.

purists? dogs have been chasing coyotes alot longer than we've been calling them in.

to each his own.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Coyotes have been absolute hell on small game and farm animals in the area where i own land in Illinois. A few years ago, two different groups of coyote hunters started hunting the area regularly. Now the coyotes are much less of a problem.
I have to agree with Lance, as long as it is legal then by all means go for it. Coyotes here are a problem too. This past year for once the coyote numbers were down. So yes as far as I am concerned keep on getting those numbers under control.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:42 PM

You know, I hunt with dogs, albeit beagles... but the same thing happens to them as the bigger 'yote dogs. They get on land they aren't supposed to. I do my darnedest to keep them off and once they tresspass I go and get them as fast as possible and get out. If I run into the land owner I appologize and explain why I am where I am. I usually don't have any trouble.

To the person that originated this thread, did you put your phone number on your no trespassing signs so they had a way to actually contact you? I am not sticking up for them, but attitudes go a long way in the way people react to you and the situation.

We as hunters should try our very best to get along, because when we fight amoungst ourselves, the anti's just sit back and grin from ear to ear.

Emery
Old 03-12-2007, 04:09 PM

i sometimes hunt with a friend and her wolfhounds.To watchthat wolfhound hit the coyote and the second dog grab the yote by the neck it is as good as it gets.

i am surprised that many of the eastern states have not wised up about coyotes. Coyotes were never native there at all. Coyotes came east much later. Eastern states better put a bounty on yotes or allow folks to kill them year around on pubiic land or the deer population will quickly go south.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

In response to MIbeagleman

I am sure there are alot of good honest coyote hunters out there, and by the sounds of it you are one of those, but on the flip side there's a hand full of guys that aren't so thoughtful . and as for haveing my phone number onmy posted signs, these guys know me and I know them.Ifit were someone whodidn't know me,and plan onhunting this way, one of them should purchase a plat book ( which is a map of the county which tells who owns what, and where.)That way they could sit down the night before open the plat book to where they plan on hunting and call everyone who owns property in that area and ask permission and let the land owners know who's in charge of the group. but maybe thats to simple for some people to do. "Just My thoughts"
Steve

replying to

You know, I hunt with dogs, albeit beagles... but the same thing happens to them as the bigger 'yote dogs. They get on land they aren't supposed to. I do my darnedest to keep them off and once they tresspass I go and get them as fast as possible and get out. If I run into the land owner I appologize and explain why I am where I am. I usually don't have any trouble.

To the person that originated this thread, did you put your phone number on your no trespassing signs so they had a way to actually contact you? I am not sticking up for them, but attitudes go a long way in the way people react to you and the situation.

We as hunters should try our very best to get along, because when we fight amoungst ourselves, the anti's just sit back and grin from ear to ear.

Emery
[/quote]
Old 03-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have a problem with hounding hunting, where legal. I do have a problem with tresspassing and allowing your dog onto someone else's property without permission. If you can't keep the dog off of private property, don't run it. Sorry to hear of such problems. It has to be frustrating to have so much private property, but it still needs to be respected.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Let's simplify this if we can,
The law states, that coyote hunters are allowed to enter and retrieve there dogs from properties that they may have mistakenly strayed upon... Shouldn't then the person to whom is retrieving said animal be unarmed. Factbeing, an armed individual could be considered still in the process of attempting to harvest game.
That said. when you go in to retrieve you dogs from where they don't belong. leave your guns in your truck.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:08 PM

I agree, legal action is the way to go and it works. My family owns some nice deer and turkey hunting land and granted my parents' portion of the division is only about 22 acres, people still try to get on it every year. They have pressed trespassing charges on a few parties that have been caught (the majority by gathering tag numbers of vehicles parked on the roadside boundary of the land) and so far there have been no repeat offenders. Just something for you to throw around the noggin.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know how you feel, we have the same problem around here too. But one difference is, more often than not, they are actually running deer with their dogs, but thats illegal here, so they have coyote dogs, and they are hunting "coyotes" when they are actually running deer. Most around here are too lazy to tresspass, they wait for the deer or whatever to cross the road and shoot them then. Makes me sick, usually starts about august, and is still going on now.
Are they to lazy?, not really some will wait for the dogs to return so they do not have the problems mentioned above. When the dogs are on a chase they do not know of any " no tresspassing signs ". The ones running the dogs do so they sit and wait for them to come out. They have radios here to help keep track of there dogs as coyotes do not tree. They also are equiped with 2 way radios and or cell phones so if tresspassing is needed they can make contact with 1 the owner/s or 2local authorities. Also most coyote running here is done outside of deer season. ( we only have a short season) However bear dogs run during our archery season for 2 weeks and the deer will move around and that does not mean they are chasing the deer because of it. Mostly here coyotes are run with dogs during the winter months.

Quick Reply: coyote hunter problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.