Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

When do yotes quit mating????

Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When do yotes quit mating????

I'd think yotes would mate more during Spring time
If they mated in the spring, then the pups wouldn't be born until the summer! Spring welping makes sence to me. Lots of food sources available then. The weather is moderate. The pups have a chance to grow all summer and get adapted to hunting for themselves before the next winter!
Most other critters are born in the spring, so why shouldn't the coyote be born in the spring?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Dominant Buck

JSTOR: Precopulatory and Copulatory Behavior in Coyotes

Kennelly (1972) presents data on the spermatogenic cycle in males. The coyote is a seasonal breeder, the female coming into heat once per year (the male ...
links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0022-2372(197605)57%3A2%3C372%3APACBIC%3E2.0.CO%3B2-D - Similar pages
Old 02-22-2007, 07:37 PM

Ive heard that coyotes are good to howl to in late spring to early-late summer because the pups are learning the language and it is a learning experience to them and you, i also watched something on tv about how pups will respond to howls because they are basically what i said above learning the language. What's everyones input on this?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know that it really has anything to do with the "pups learning the language". I would beleive that it has more to do with pup dispersal, where the pups are looking for "thier" own territory, and eventually looking for "thier" own mates!
What show did you watch that talked about the pups responding to howls? Was it videoed in a research area?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM

Howler,
Actually the video i watched this on was on the DVD you told me about and i baught. He said they try to find their own areas like you said and they are very vocal because they like to howl and bark alot when they are young and curious.