Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

1st Time Rabbit Questions!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1st Time Rabbit Questions!

Rabbit is excellent. I grab them by the middle and pull the skin off towards the head and feet, comes off VERY easy. Then gut like a deer, from the vent to the top of the rib cage. I don't field dress unless the rabbit was shot bad or its really hot out.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:51 AM

I agree with a lot of what's already been said...

1. I don't ever field dress them unless it's hot. Here in MO, by the time I get around to hunting rabbits, it's already winter, so it's plenty cold to keep them good until I get back to the house to clean. Might be different if I were going to haul them a long way.

2. My method for cleaning: (a) twist off the head; (b) grab the skin and just start pulling it off--it pulls off real easy, and pretty much anywhere you can grab a pinch-full of skin (like on the back) you can start pulling; (c) cut off the legs at the joints; (d) gut-hook it like a deer and clean out the innards; (e) quarter it up.

2a. One other thing to watch for--make sure you find all the pellets, if you were using a shotgun, and if there is a lot of blood in the meat around where a pellet lodged, you might just cut out that little scrap of meat.

3. My favorite part is the tenderloin, but the back legs are great too.

4. Roll in egg & milk, flour & cracker crumbs, then deep fry like chicken--YUM YUM YUM!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

I like to gut them as soon as I shoot them, and if we have the beagle with us, ill give him the liver. When i get back to the house, I just pull the back legs through the hole, skin down to the front legs, pull them out, then just cut off the head. Its quick and easy.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Spike

rabbits are really easy, i just cut the skin on the belly side, work my fingers around the back, then pull towards the head and back legs at the same time, Snow shoes are easier to clean, cotton tails seem to have alittle tougher skin, but still really easy to skin compared to a squirrel.