Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How to get that darn fox?

Old 02-11-2007, 04:28 PM

Default How to get that darn fox?

Found a fox den today when I was out walking in the snow. In a deep creekbed nice tracks go in and out and even fresh signs of a cottontail kill. How can I set up on it? I've called back there several times but to no avail. I've tried trapping, but my traps kept getting dug up. Judging by the tracks this is a pretty large fox. We've seen a really large red this summer and fall. Could I set up and watch the den? When would be a good time? I could set up about 150yds away at the farthest point and still see the den. Dusk, dawn, trap, or call? Please help, I want my first pelt!! Thank alot!!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to get that darn fox?

Trap him/her. The reason your traps got dug up is that they were contaminated. You either set them by hand or have some other smell on them. Go as scentfree as possible, wear rubber gloves, wear hip waders, etc. Try a walk through set, a hay set and a post set. You can catch that fox, it just takes persistance.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let the spot rest for a couple weeks and really get at it the last week of the season. Im assuming your season ends at the end of Feb.? Let the trap sit in boiling water mixed with baking soda. Make sure all of your clothes & gloves are washed and free of foreign odors. Spray your trap down with Scent Killer and leave it in a plastic zip-lock bag. Try a dirt hole set 10 yards away from the den with some fox urine scent. If you can finda spot they like to use going into the den a snaremight be a good choice.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Put a conibear over the den and make a dirthole set like normal. hole for lure and make a bed for the trap but put no trap in there instead place a trap about 12-14 inches behind bed. dont cover with dirt just make a little hole and place grass over it so it looks like your trap is closer than what it actually is. If the fox is still digging it up go to a sporting goods and buy scent killer and spray your trap and area hoped that helped good luck
Old 02-14-2007, 08:05 PM

Fox's arent really easy to get.... Hence the saying "Sly as a Fox"
Old 02-15-2007, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Groundhog bombs and a 12 ga.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

Trap him/her. Try a walk through set, a hay set and a post set.
Could you explain, I'm trying to learn all I can about trapping foxes. Thx!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:43 PM

a walk through set islike a modififed trail set. you set your trap like you would in a trail but then you use rocks, sticks something to guid them over your trap, and put some lure or bait to attract them. And a post set is a object sticking out of the ground that the fox mark there territory on. like a dog peeing on a car tire. once you find a suitable object like a stick or a corn stalk, usually about 6-10 inches tall bed your trap where you think the fox would stand to pee on it and then squirt some urine on your post so the fox thinks there is an intruder on his territory
Old 03-11-2007, 11:59 AM

what i always do is hook C4 up to a motion sensor...when the fox comes in range..BOOM!!!..no more fox problems
Old 03-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

what the hell, roadhunter, c4 are you kidding me! must be a troll.