Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 How Often Do You Miss When Rabbit Hunting? >

How Often Do You Miss When Rabbit Hunting?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How Often Do You Miss When Rabbit Hunting?

Old 12-27-2006, 01:13 PM

Default RE: How Often Do You Miss When Rabbit Hunting?

Thanks you guys. I will admit I also miss quite a few ducks, but I am getting better. Thanks for the shouldering up tip metaldonnie. Rawk on man.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:50 PM

On average, I get 3 out of 4 rabbits I shoot at. That doesn't mean I don't miss more though, because I normally shoot about 3 times at them ifI don't get them on the first shot. It depends on my day. Some days I don't miss any and some days I use a whole box of shells and don't get any.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

I used to miss rabits when i first started hunting them but now i rarely ever miss them.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:55 PM

Here is my take on shooting rabbits. Most small game hunters shoot at birds. You have a great deal of practice doing this. Shooting at something scooting across the ground doesn't come natural if you are used to hunting birds. Practice, practice, practice and practice some more. Take someone out with clay pigeons and throw them across the ground and get good at it. Then your averages will improve shooting rabbits.

Most of my shots at rabbits are moving shots, very rarely will I take a sitting shot. I run dogs and I only shoot rabbits that I think my dogs are running.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:36 PM

ya same here beagleman. yesterday, 3 of us got 18. we shot our limit, but with beagles its so much easier. we started at 8 and ended at noon. so it was a pretty good day. by the way, using a shotgun is SO much better than shooting with a .22 . depending on ur shot and the speed of the rabbit, lead him a tiny bit, but take ur best shot. I practiced with skeet hopping on the ground and it works good. try it out

Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Left the house today with 11 shotgun shells, came back with only 4 shells and 3 rabbits.. thats 7 shots and only 3 kills.. although only 1 was a complete miss.. the others were hit but not hit good enuff to stop em so we took another shot to stop it in its tracks.. beagles.. gotta love em.. got all 3 rabbits we kicked up..
Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Seriously I only missed 2 out of my 50 rabbits and squirrels last year I missed a rabbit on hill at 60 yards and squirrel in tree at 35 yards I hit 5 between 50 and 60 yards[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Spike

My grandfather told me a story about when he was a young boy during the depression his dad gave him and his brother a .410 to share and a box of shells to go rabbit hunting. They shot 23 rabbits. They missed one and had to shoot one rabbit twice. When they got home their father said that isn’t good enough and was serious. I am glad that I wasn’t in their shoes. I don’t think I would have done much better.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:41 PM

My cousins and I went hunting and shot 11 rabits, missed a few times but not much, we were using 20g and 12g to hunt with.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:00 PM

you miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. I am not ashamed to say I have missed alot of rabbits and even more birds.