Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote hunting

Old 08-22-2006, 07:31 PM

Default coyote hunting

all i got is a 12Ga. nova and some camo drawers, plus my jacket. i ain't got no chemical anti BO suits, but i warsh in backin' soda when i go deer hunting, an' warsh al'a my clothes in arm&hammer too. seems to fool th' deer. i don't hunt deer much no more, that's why i ain't never got a chem suit, but do any of you think it is nessissary to get one for huntin' 'yotes?
like i said i got a shotgun, so i know i gotta get'em close in. do you think it would be a good investment, or is there a way to be just as good at 'yote hunting with out spending the extra bucks?
Old 08-22-2006, 07:59 PM

Default RE: coyote hunting

If your gona shotgun um your going to have to have the wind in your favor and maybe use some sent killer and a decoy, i hear it keeps a yote commin even if he sences somthing wrong, but as far as buying a suit it all depends on how big of a hole u want to burn in your pocket, me I wouldn't, I'd rather save up for a 22-250 or something like that to kill um at 300 yards.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:38 AM

As far as a decoy goes just about anything works that looks like a small animal - I have a rigor rabbit now that works great but I have used a coon skin cap wraped around a ball on a stick with some fishing line tied to it so I could give it a shack now and then to get the yotes attention.

If you want to invest in a Suit to prevent odor - the chepest one I have found that works greats is the chemical suits they used over in Iraq - You can get them at most military surplus stores - They have a charcoal liner that absorbs almost all human odor.

Get good at using a manual predador call they are way cheaper than the electronic calls and you can change your calling style to how the yote is reacting once they're comming in - Invest in a mouse squeaker - I have called more yotes in with one of these than anything - once you're at your calling location give it 15-20 min. to calm down then give your squeaker a couple blasts and wait 10-15 min then one more before you move to your primary predator call (Cottontail, Jack Rabbit, Woodpecker Distress, Coyote Distress, Red/Grey Fox Distress, Coyote Howler) there are tons of calls get good at one then try out others.

I usually hunt in pairs my brother brings a 12 gauge, for close shots. I bring my .243 for shots out to 400 yrds - this works out pretty good for me. Change up you calling seaquences though or the yote will get call shy. Hope this helps a little

http://myspace.com/kjmc101
Old 08-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

no need to spend any money on high dollar scent blocker clothing. Look at it this way, a dog can smell cocane inside a gas tank, and at the same time smell the cigar the crook was smokin' a week ago, the coffee he spilled on his pants yesterday, the donut on his breath from a few hours ago, the shampoo he used 4 days ago, the mud stain in his shorts from a week ago, all at the same time and a coyote has the same sense of smell.
SO, instead, set up so that a coyote has to expose himself in order to smell you. SO, set up with the wind blwoing your scent into a clearing where you can see all.A coyote won't always go to your downwind side, but in general, they like to smell what they think theyare hearing, so to do so, make them expose themselves to do it, and then shoot'em before they smell ya, because once they get a good wiff, they will turn tail!!
I don't use a decoy of any kind and kill lots of coyotes, so as far as I'm concerned, they aren't a necassity either! Hand calls all the way!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:57 PM

I agree, I've killed yotes without a chem/scent suit. Heck a couple were without camo, but that was probably luck.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:13 AM

Oh - I agree that scent suits are not neccessary but some people want to have the best advantage - I very seldom use one. I do a lot of trapping for yotes and I have even gotten away from using gloves on a lot of the time. I coyote's sense of smell is so great they WILL know you were there. You just have to minimize there reason for suspicion at the set.

Once a coyote see's what they think they hear they will zero in on it. I don't use a decoy to bring the coyotes in I use one to take the attention off of me. That way if you have to make slight changes to shooting position or using your call the attention is not on finding what they hear cause they think they allready found it.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a decoy, but it is nothing more than a fishing string and a turkey feather. It helps divert their focus away from me slightly, where I can get away with a little more movement.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:41 AM

I have several weasel ball toys, each with different dog training scents. I just use the one that's good for the spot i'm in but, I mostly use the cottontail scented one.