Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Snare Trapping?

Old 07-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Snare Trapping?

ive been playin around with some snare traps that i made out of whatever i had lyin around the house. im tryin to catch some rabbits out of the feild in my back yard but so far have been unsuccessful. im still tryin to figure out exactly what happens when the animal gets caught. does it have to stick its head in the loop (snare) and pull it tight? do i really even need a tightening loop if im just tryin to catch rabbits or will i have the same results with a smaller loop that doesnt tighten?
Old 07-02-2006, 04:50 AM
Banned

Default RE: Snare Trapping?

With a rabbit snare it will have to be real thin cable like picture hanging wire. The animal goes through the snare with his head and as he continues on through his motions and his fur and body contact with the snare cause the snare to tighten on his body and the more he fights the tighter it gets. Most animals snared have at least one leg through the snare and are caught around the mid-section. I recommend getting a copy of Fur-Fish-and Game magazine; great trapping magazine.HCH
Old 07-02-2006, 11:33 AM

I SEE YOUR A BOWHUNTER, JUST LIKE ME. MY ADVICE IF YOU WANT TO GET A RABBIT YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF ARROWING ONE THAT TO SNARE ONE. THE SNARES I USED TO SET OUT ONCE THE RABBIT OR FURBEARS HEAD WOULD GO INTO THE SNARE HIS MOMENTUM WOULD TRIGGER THE RELEASE AND THE SNARE WOULD WHIP IT INTO THE AIR BREAKING THE NECK, IF THE PRESSURE OF THE WHIP DIDNT BREAK THE NECK THEN IT WOULD BE STRANGLED TO DEATH (HUNG). YOU HAVE TO FIND THERE TRIALS ANDPUT BRUSH, STICKS, OR WHATEVER TO MAKE A STRIGHT CLEAR PATH TO YOUR SNARE. THE BIGGEST MISTAKE MOST PEOPLE MAKE MYSELF INCLUDED WHEN I DID SNARING IS WHEN YOU STRIP OFF THE CEDAR BRANCHES AND PULL DOWN THE SHAVED TRUNK DONT PULL IT DOWN ALL THE WAY. IF YOU PULL THE TREE DOWN TO THE GROUND ALL THE WAY THEN YOUR GONNA MISS ALOT OF GAME. BECUASE IF YOU PULL THE TREE DOWN ALL THE WAY AND MAKE THE RELEASE THE TREE WANTS TO BE STRAIGHT UP, THE ANIMAL WILL HAVE TO ACTUALLY RUN THROUGHT THE SNARE AT FULL SPEED TO RELEASE THE RELEASE. IF YOU MAKE THE RELEASE HIGHER THERE NOT MUCH PRESSURE ON THE TREE MAKING THE RELEASE A HAIR TRIGGER. SO IF ANYTHING BARLY TOUCHES THE SNARE IT WILL BE SET OFF. I HAVE COUNTLESS HOURS SNARING THE BEST TIME TO SNARE IS IN THE WINTER. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 11:45 AM

I WANTED TO LEARN HOW TO SNARE JUST IN CASE I GOT LOST IN THE FOREST. MY PROPERTY BORDERS THOUSANDS OF ACRES OF NATIONAL FOREST. HERE IS A WEBSITE I GOT OFF MY FAVORITES IT WILL GIVE YOU A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF SNARES. 1 WORD OF ADVICE WHEN HOLDING DOWN YOUR TREE TO SET THE RELEASE WEAR SUNGLASSES OR BE VERY CAREFUL. I ALREADY HAVE GOTTIN SLASHES ON MY FACE FROM NOT PAYIN ATTENTION ALMOST WHIPPED MY EYE SOCKET.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-2.php
Old 07-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

Fur-Fish-Game mag...has the info you are looking for.HCH
Old 07-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

What you are looking for is steel leader material for saltwater fishing. Rabbits are by far the hardest animal to snare. Very similar to bow hunting you need to find a funnel, some place the animal will pass like a hole in a fence. It would be easier to show you but this is the best I can do right now.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys, i did manage to catch one usin some floral wire and a double half hitch to make the noose. the one problm is that im trappin in a large feild and its hard to set snares one every one of their trails. a lot of times i find one of my snares off centered from where i first had them. do u think their just missin the loop or r they maybe gettin out? but i am very happy that i finally got one.thanks for all the help!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Typical Buck

I doubt they are getting out. They may be bumping the loop and/or other animals may be bumping them. Most successful snaremen set ALOT of snares. Make up a mess of them and cover the trails with them. In many states it is illegal to use a "spring pole" set with a sapling and in some states you can't even snare or trap some "game" animals, including small game animals. Not saying its a personal issue--survival and self sufficency need practiced not just read about--but be aware of whether you are within the bounds of the laws of your area.

Make sure your snare is closing with practically no resistance. Use grasses, twigs, etc. to fence the trail down to the edge of the snare loop. Also be aware that anything is liable to end up in the snare, not just rabbits. Even a larger animal can get leg snared. Make sure you are checking them at least daily.