Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote hunting help

Old 06-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Coyote hunting help

Every hunt is a learning experience. Your first couple of hunts will be big-time learning experiences. After you hunt coyotes for a while, you'll have a much better idea of what to do and what not to do. Coyote hunting has a fairly large learning curve compared to other types of game. And you will miss shots, but after you nail a couple of coyotes, it becomes a little easier to keep the excitement levels under control and make better shots.

No matter how much you hunt, you will still miss a coyote every now and then. I missed one a couple of weeks ago I shouldn't have. I lined up, it was an easy shot for me, and just as I was about to pull the trigger, I had about a dozen fire ants get a hold of me. The stupid ants made me flinch just enough the shot grazed the top of his back.[:@]
Old 06-30-2006, 03:23 AM

So after reading this entire post, what do you all think I should do. Every time I go out I have saw a coyote from 5:30 to 7:30 PM without using a call. I have tried calling and have not saw any coyotes. It seems like I am better off just to go out and sit and wait for them. What do you all think I should do?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd probably still try calling.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Yeah, I'd go with the calls, but I wouldn't set up in the same place every time. Maybe a woodpecker or something besides the old mangled rabbit call, or if your coyotes are anything like these western jobs---a howler that you can get them to come after (territorial is their middle name). Out here in CO the dogs get hunted hard, but most people don't stay on stand long enough after calls, so be real patient and real still. With a hand call you should have them close enough to count their ticks.