Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Calling 'yottes

Old 01-11-2002, 04:34 PM

Default Calling 'yottes

Greetings,

i am new to coyotte hunting, and need some calling advice. I have 0 budget for hunting, and cannot afford to buy any expensive stuff. ( I use a 30-06 rifle cause I cant afford to buy a varmit gun ).
My Call is a really inexpensive open reed "squeeler" as I call it made by Carlton's Calls.. How do I make the call sounds? do I just squeel away with long wails, or is there a technique to it?

Any help is apreciated,

Terry L. Stephens
Old 01-11-2002, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Calling 'yottes

go to www.johnnystewart.com on the home page,on the right side click on the listen to our calling sounds link.scroll down to calling sounds and clink on predators.there you will see different predator links,click on them and when the page comes up click on the speaker that says wave under it.although these sounds are short,very short they will give you the general idea of how its supposed to sound.when ever your doing a distress sound just remember that your a dying animal,put emotion into it.also remember to keep each calling sequence fairly short,a rabbit has small lungs.but the best thing you can do is pick up a how to cassette tape,this will teach you every thing you need to know about calling coyotes and fox.there only around 10 bucks(i know your cash flow is limmited)and if you can afford it,it will be money well spent.you should also learn to talk coyote talk,howling and barking.its an important part of coyote huntin.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:31 PM

Small world, Terry. My Dad lives in the same town as you.

coyoteseeker has you going in the right direction. Don't worry about getting *too* perfect in your calls. Every rabbit has a different voice and they only get to die once. But remember that part about small lungs, that's important. If you can manage to get a tape it'll help you a lot.

The open reed call can be a little more difficult to learn but it's more versatile once you get the hang of it.

Have fun! Guy
Old 01-12-2002, 01:56 PM

Thanks you Coyote seeker, it helps to know what sounds to make. I will frequent that site and practice then in a few weeks when next I get the chance I am going to try it!
Grey Taylor, wow, didnt think I would find anyone so close to home here. Does your dad hunt in this area??
Old 01-12-2002, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

theres also another place to go with a little better and downloadable sounds that i forgot about when i made the post www.possecountry.com
Old 01-12-2002, 03:43 PM

The 30-06 is awful big for coyotes but i know of guys that buy the "accelerator" type bullets which are 45,55 or65 grain bullets with a synthetic case around the bullet to bring it up to caliber. They are extremely fast and will jam a semi-auto sometimes though work well in a bolt or pump.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

The only thing about those accelerator shells they small bullet comming from that case they tend to start to flip end over end making them VERY inaccurate
Old 01-13-2002, 07:25 PM

Hmmm... well, if I can afford to buy the smaller bullets I will try em anhow, but for now I will probably buy whatever is cheapest ( till I can get my loading dies, then I will taylor a round fer this with some light slugs ) all I have at present are some 150gr corelocts I hunted deer with... hope it dont blow the critter up too badly! *G* anyhow I checked out those sounds, and some of the cotontail calls are fairly easy with my call, although I had to completely rethink how I hold it in my mouth. I will let you guys know how well ( or not so well) I do once I can go out and try it on the real thing.

Old 01-15-2002, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 30-06 with heavy deer rounds really won't do much more damage than a hollow point or V-max from a 22-250.The heavy bullet is designed for big game and I don't think it expands completly when hitting a coyote.I've shot s couple coyotes with a 300 Win. Mag 180 Nosler Partition bullets, and the holes were no worse than what my 22-250 does.So I say shoot what ya feel comfortable with. 30-06 will kill 'em as dead as the 22-250 does on any given day!
Old 01-15-2002, 11:49 AM

The .30/06 is a fine cartridge and is excellent for long range shooting (300+). If you know your gun and do some basic calling, you will get some yotes.

Just remember that everytime you call you are educating the critters. If you hunt the same location you will need to vary your setup and calls. I only hunt a particular field/farm once every couple weeks so the yotes don't get too used to me hunting them. Once they have your call and setups pegged, you'll have a tough time even seeing a yote let alone getting a shot.

Many, many farmers will let you hunt coyotes because they think you are helping them with the predators. Just talk to 'em and ask.