Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Missed a yote... will he come back?

Old 03-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Missed a yote... will he come back?

This story sucks and is somewhat embarrassing and definitely frustrating. On Sunday I took my brother with me to a farmer’s property that gave me permission to clear out the yotes on his land. He also had given me permission to bring my brother along if I chose to. Well I did. I have scouted this property a few times and wanted to show my brother what directions were safe to shoot and what direction were not.

We arrived at the farm at 2:00pm and headed into the woods. Once we were back there I showed my brother where I would be sitting, leaned my gun, binoculars, and seat cushion up against a tree. I walked about 75 yards through the woods and showed him a spot that I felt was a good one. I’m standing there talking to him and over his shoulder saw a large yote walk up to the edge of the woods. I couldn’t believe it. I told him to stand still because there was a yote right behind him looking our way. For a second he didn’t believe me but quickly figured out by the look in my eyes I was serious. The yote slowly started to head into the woods to my right which was his left. Once it was behind some trees he crouched down and took his rifle off of his shoulder. I kneeled down beside him and pointed out the direction that the yote was in. Within seconds here he came heading towards us and down to the right.

There were a lot of trees between us but there was a nice clearing father to the right, plenty for an easy shot of about 100 yards. I told him do not shoot unless you are 100% sure you will drop him. He had an SKS with an open sight… no scope. Once the yote made it to the clearing he squeezed off a shot and missed by a mile. The yote ran like a Thoroughbred and exited the woods in a split second.[:@]

I’m embarrassed because I left my gun leaning against a tree out of reach and missed an easy shot because of it. I’m frustrated because he missed the yote and why? Because he said he adjusted his sight to two hundred yards before we got there and forgot that he did so.

Now the yote is educated and probably won’t be back or will he. I don’t know their habits well enough to know what the yote will do.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Missed a yote... will he come back?

You might get lucky and catch him later with a different call, but he'll be shy for a while, and I would give him a little time to forget. And it happens to everybody, so don't let it get you too frustrated.

From what you have told, I would make two recommendations. First, keep your gun ready at ALL TIMES, because coyotes have a habit of showing up when your not ready for them if you let your guard down. Second, my understanding is the yote was still coming in when you shot? If this is correct, what I usually do is let them keep coming as close as possible, but keeping my sights on them. At some point, the coyote will usually get close enough to realize something is up, and when they do, they will usually pause briefly, and I shoot them on the pause.

Sounds like ya'll could also use a little target practice. For every round I shot in the field, I shoot probably at least 100-200 rounds at the bench or at targets I set up in the field. I usually have 300-400 rounds through a gun before I ever take it hunting.

Anyway, good luck in future hunts. Learn from yourmistakes and the mistakes of others and you'll find yourself getting a lot better.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

North Texan,

I didn't take the shot my brother did. Like I mentioned I told him not to shoot if he had any doubt. And yes my brother needs alot of practice.

Had I not left my gun against a tree out of reach, I would be showing everyone a picture of a yote. It was a simple 75 yard shot. Very easy target and that's why I'm baffled that he missed. He actually spends alot of time target shooting but messes with his sights too much.

My mistake was leaving my gun out of reach and believe me that will never happen again. As for my brother, I'm still scratching my head.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never mess with a scope or sights as long as they are still holding their zero. Hitting the same spot consistently is very important. Adjusting sights makes the point of impact unpredictable.

But everybody still needs to put in time at the target range. Next time you are out, he may shoot, then you need to be prepared for a follow up if he misses. And on your follow up, you will be trying to hit a moving target.