Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Howls or Distress?

Old 02-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Howls or Distress?

I'm new to coyote hunting, and have a question about calling. I'm going to be hunting this Fri morning and was wondering if I should use either howls or distress calls. The coyotes where I will be aren't pressured that much. Any advise would be good. Oh, and if howls, what kind challenge, interigation, serenade. By the way im in NY if that helps w/ the answering.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Howls or Distress?

I would mix it up with a little of everything. Howls will work better now than at other times of the year since it's about time for mating season.

You using electronic call or mouth calls?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using mouth calls. Is it smart to howl and use a distress right after that?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't usually use both a distress and a howler at the same set. I usually do something with the howler just to see if I can provoke a response, or just use the siren on the pickup. If something answers, I'll move not right to where I heard the sound, but in the general vicinity, set up, wait a minute or two, then begin calling. A challenge or a female invitation, even an interogation, would probably be what I start with this time of year. IF that doesn't work, then I'd switch to the distress at the next set. If you can't find a coyote looking for love, maybe you can find one that's hungry.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The problem with using only one or the other is, they often don't vocally respond to a howler but yet they will come to it silently, just like a distress, only usually slower! SO if you do some howls and don't here anything and move on, you're probably driving/walking away from incoming coyotes and don't even know it!

Lots of guys, including myself, use both a howler and distress on sets, especially this time of year. It works! If you do some howls to start a set, wait several minutes before going to distress. I usually plan on staying longer on a set if I used any howls. Female invitation or interrogation both seem to work well this time of year!
Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

thx for the info guys, I'll let you all know how I do this weekend.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:19 PM

good luck
Old 02-22-2006, 08:47 PM

If you can go rabbit hunting and get one, use the rabbit hide and guts to add a little scent along with the call. I have never tried it, but the theory makes sense.