Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rattle snake hunting

Old 02-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rattle snake hunting

We took 2 last year during august, legally of course, and I am getting more and more nervous about it. I havent been bit yet, but I feel like the law of averages is gonna catch up with me. We take them with walking sticks and didnt wear gaiters. If I go again, I will be wearing gaiters. Any advice from experienced folk?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:02 PM

Default RE: Rattle snake hunting

Pack a snakebitekit!! How do you hunt them? Me and a freind were thinking about doing it too! What do they taste like?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

The meat is good, mild flavor. Somwhere between fish and chicken in texture. We hunt them with walking sticks, whack them behind the head, hold the head down then cut it off. Take the body home, split it up the middle clean everything else out with a fillet knife and borax the pelt. We eat ours in the form of dinner sausage.
Be careful, respect the animal. "Side effects include, swelling of limbs, shaking, unconciousness, amputation of limbs and death".
Be very careful
Old 02-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted them for 10+ years, selling live snakes to a guy that ships them overseas (haven't sold any in a few years though). I have never worn gaiters, just leather cowboy boots. I tried gaitors once, and they were uncomfortable and hot. My boots have tops that go nearly to my knees, giving me probably enough protection if something happened. Just move very slowly and very deliberately, watching where you put your foot down each time. If you have to step over a log or rock or something, step up on the log and then step over. This will give you a little more clearance in case a snake is on the other side. The trick is to never get in a hurry. When people get in a hurry is when they start making mistakes.

And finally, if you do get bit, ignore every folk remedy you've ever heard and seek professional medical attention ASAP. Don't cut on it, don't suck at, don't use a turniquit, and don't use ice, just get to the hospital. If you have a ring, watch, or other jewelry, remove it immediately after the bite. Anything that fits tight, remove it before the swelling starts. Otherwise, you may not be able to get it off, and it may start restricting blood flow. Keep this in mind, so if something does happen, you'll be able to respond appropriately.

Rattlesnakes would much rather avoid humans if at all possible. If given the option of biting or retreat, most will choose to retreat. If you get too close to one, back away slowly. If he is coiled ready to strike, but has not, just hold still and don't try anything. With a little luck, the snake will eventually try to back away. When the snake coils, he is warning you. He is saying "I haven't bitten you yet, but I will if you get any closer."

Some snakes are naturally a little more aggressive than others. If the snake is pretty passive and doesn't make much of a fuss, I usually let it go. It's just a personal thing, but I don't see much use in getting rid of a snake that doesn't seem to be much of a threat.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:52 PM

North Texas pretty much said it all.

the snakebite kits are better left on the store shelf.most people do more harm to them self than the snake does.just try to stay , or keep the victim calm and get to the hospital, ASAP.in most cases you will be sick, but be OK.
it is truly a rush to catch them.pretty good eating also.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 02-07-2006, 10:28 PM

They make great stew. Plus, skinning them and using the skin for various things is something I always look forward to doing throughout the year.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

WOW! I aint seen one that size in a while! They are usualy under 3.5 feet long and not too big around. That one has muscles on his poo. EJ
Old 02-11-2006, 05:19 AM

we have alot of timber rattlers in my area,not manyD. B.,guess its during breeding season, but around aug. and sept. their everywwhere, espically crossing the roads, usually kill 5 or ten a year, can't stand them,usually have guys make snake skin belts with them.YA'LL BE CAREFUL.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys. I've beencurious aboutrattle snake hunting and thought I'd give it a try this summer. They say there's quite a few in Eastern WA.Not to sure aboutkilling them with a walkingstick though, was thinking more along the lines of a 22 pistol. But heck thats alll subject to change. Any more tips? Whats the best time of day mid afternoon?

Quick Reply: Rattle snake hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.