Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rattle snake hunting

Old 02-19-2006, 10:33 AM

Default RE: Rattle snake hunting

ORIGINAL: BlackLab

Thanks for the info guys. I've been curious about rattle snake hunting and thought I'd give it a try this summer. They say there's quite a few in Eastern WA. Not to sure about killing them with a walking stick though, was thinking more along the lines of a 22 pistol. But heck thats alll subject to change. Any more tips? Whats the best time of day mid afternoon?
The warmer the better, but obviously you can't go out and find numbers of them out in plain view when the temps are in the 90's. Mid afternoon is generally a good time, but also you might start hunting them before noon, depending on the weather and ground temps.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BlackLab

Thanks for the info guys. I've beencurious aboutrattle snake hunting and thought I'd give it a try this summer. They say there's quite a few in Eastern WA.Not to sure aboutkilling them with a walkingstick though, was thinking more along the lines of a 22 pistol. But heck thats alll subject to change. Any more tips? Whats the best time of day mid afternoon?
I usually have my best luck between 11 and 3, depending on how the shade hits the den.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats pretty much what I thought should be good times.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:03 PM

Never hunted them - They are not around where I live in Western NY but I have a hunting camp in PA that has a fair number of timber rattlers around. The mountain was strip minned 20 - 25 years ago and all the snakes left the area. the past 5 years or so you see more and more each year. We came into camp one day and found a shed in the middle of the livingroom floor. We searched everywhere and never found the critterer. The shed was about 3 foot long though. From what i understand they are protected in PA.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sheds can be a lot of fun. I'll admit I've strategically placed one or two in a house or camper for a little entertainment. Some people will turn a house upside down trying to find the snake.