HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rattle snake hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 05:49 PM
North Texan
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rattle snake hunting

I've hunted them for 10+ years, selling live snakes to a guy that ships them overseas (haven't sold any in a few years though). I have never worn gaiters, just leather cowboy boots. I tried gaitors once, and they were uncomfortable and hot. My boots have tops that go nearly to my knees, giving me probably enough protection if something happened. Just move very slowly and very deliberately, watching where you put your foot down each time. If you have to step over a log or rock or something, step up on the log and then step over. This will give you a little more clearance in case a snake is on the other side. The trick is to never get in a hurry. When people get in a hurry is when they start making mistakes.

And finally, if you do get bit, ignore every folk remedy you've ever heard and seek professional medical attention ASAP. Don't cut on it, don't suck at, don't use a turniquit, and don't use ice, just get to the hospital. If you have a ring, watch, or other jewelry, remove it immediately after the bite. Anything that fits tight, remove it before the swelling starts. Otherwise, you may not be able to get it off, and it may start restricting blood flow. Keep this in mind, so if something does happen, you'll be able to respond appropriately.

Rattlesnakes would much rather avoid humans if at all possible. If given the option of biting or retreat, most will choose to retreat. If you get too close to one, back away slowly. If he is coiled ready to strike, but has not, just hold still and don't try anything. With a little luck, the snake will eventually try to back away. When the snake coils, he is warning you. He is saying "I haven't bitten you yet, but I will if you get any closer."

Some snakes are naturally a little more aggressive than others. If the snake is pretty passive and doesn't make much of a fuss, I usually let it go. It's just a personal thing, but I don't see much use in getting rid of a snake that doesn't seem to be much of a threat.