Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

bobcat trapping

Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 PM

Default bobcat trapping

next year i am going to start trapping bobcats. I will be using chubbies. What kind of bait and attracter should I use. I am going to be trapping the city of rocks. it is full of big rocks and ceder trees. Will drags be best.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bobcat trapping

I'm also in Idaho and also trying to get bobcats. I did some research among expericed trappers here. They use urine for attractant. Tin foil, bright string or anything that is noticable and moves in the wind.

Make sure the cubbies funnel the cats all the way into the back. Maybe put a stick with scent on it all the way in the back so they are forced to come in as far as possible. Also, put stuff around the trap that forces them to have no choice but to step on your pan.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:30 PM

Another good sight attractor is feathers tied to a string. I caught a couple cats a few years ago, but I set for anything that would come near the traps. I caught those two on dirthole sets with a lure attractant I ordered and tainted turkey meat.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:30 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I've had the best luck with beaver carcasses and horse meat for bait. Powder river paste bait will work as well but not as good as the other two. Bobcats rely more on sight than smell. Always hang some sort of visual attractor near the set to get them close, as was suggested, feathers, or tin foil, glass christmas balls also work well. Trapping the rocks you will probably be better off using a drag, never good to have to put the trap where you can get a stake rather than putting it where you want it.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just be aware that in Idaho we aren't allowed to use animals parts (ie feathers, meat, carcasses etc) as lures or bait so go for a commercial urine lure and get creative with the visual lures.