Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Starting On Yotes

Old 01-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Starting On Yotes

Ive been yote hunting couple times, but aint really seen anything. That was with some buddies. I wanna get started. I was just wondering what some of u experienced hunters would tell a begineer. Like what kinda of calls to buy and stuff. Also may be interested in getting a dog to run em. I have never figured out what breed u should use yet. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Starting On Yotes

Do a search on this forum and you'll find most of the answers to your questions.

As for calls, I prefer Circe and Burnham Brothers. Good calls to start with are rabbit distress, woodpecker, and a coaxer/sqeaker.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:07 PM

Patients is the biggest key. Scent and movement are your biggest issues when huntig coyotes. You got to play the wind because they will usually circle down wind of you and if they make to your downwind side they are three counties away before you know know it. Don't rush your stands, stay on stand for 20-30 min at least. Get a rabbit distress and a rodent squeaker for starters. Not over calling an area is very important also. Give each spot you call a break so the yotes do not get used to your calling sounds. Woodpecker distress and howlers are good to have in your arsenal also!! Decoys are not a must but in my experience they sure get the attention off of you and on something else so you don't get busted as easy.

Hope this helps you a bit with getting started and good luck to ya with your new sport!!

Old 01-31-2006, 08:39 PM

I would go with a Circe call or aDan Thompson gamecall. The most important thing to know and learn is to always know your wind and get some sent eliminator spray.Hunt with a slight wind in your face or a cross wind. Look for coyotes coming from the downwind too or running with or against the crosswind to get downwind of you. Make sure you know they are in the area you hunt before you hunt there or you'll never see one anyways.