Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

17 HMR

Old 01-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 17 HMR

Easy big fella. I don't think he meant much harm, as indicated by the in his post. He's just on here to seek and shareinformation from fellow hunters, as are most of us on here at HNI, and it's his right to ask questions if he wants to. He may not have seen the other threads, or he may have been fishing for different responses. Lots of things are repeats, but does it really matter? As hunters, our goal should be to promote the sport in as positive a light as possible, andyet we're allowing a17 HMR thread to place a wedge between us?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Howler

Why buy a gun that limits you to "standing, head shots only with-in 100 yards"! That's all it's good for, and even that is a strecth! Get at least a .204 or .223!
+1
Old 01-23-2006, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would much rather have something bigger than the .17 if I was to use it primarily for coyotes. However, a couple of positive points for the .17:

If you're hunting in a heavily populated area,taking short shots with the .17 might be less of a problem than firing a 220 Swift at 400 yards

There is also the issue of minimal damage to the hide by the .17.

Of course, both of these issues are contingent on you being able to call the coyotesto under 150 yards.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the majority, "lighten up yote".....you'll live longer & enjoy more hunts
Old 01-23-2006, 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Garminator

I agree with the majority, "lighten up yote".....you'll live longer & enjoy more hunts

Ya, I will lighten up for ya. I took my 43rd coyote this year yesterday, a medicore sized male with ticks the size of marbles. Not a good coat, so he was boned out for the skull and leg bones. So, I guess I am happy....lol
Old 01-24-2006, 07:13 AM

Guys,
Thanks for the responses, I think I will reconsider the purchasing the .17.
Also don't get too caught up with people like coyotestalker. The world is full of people wholike to make themselves feel important byconstantly being negative. Also it's easy for people to have a big mouth over the internet.

Thanks again
Old 01-24-2006, 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: skidmark845

Guys,
Thanks for the responses, I think I will reconsider the purchasing the .17.
Also don't get too caught up with people like coyotestalker. The world is full of people who like to make themselves feel important by constantly being negative. Also it's easy for people to have a big mouth over the internet.

Thanks again

Your welcome skidmark, even if you can't take constructive criticism......
Old 01-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Spike

I have only shot 7 coyotes so far this year and 5 were shot with
.17 HMRand the other 2 was shot with a 22 and I own 1, 223 and 2,
22-250...
Me and my wife like to ride around on the back roads and shoot rabbits here in Alaska...
The longest shot for both are maybe 50yds if we are lucky when were hunting rabbits...
No 1 hunts coyotes here and we are over run with them they are going after moose cafes now...![:@]
I shot a coyote 6 days ago 3 blocks from the cop shop in city limits with my 17 [:-]the little ba**erd did have a clue either... lol
Old 01-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

How would you compare the pelt damage across the various calibers?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:35 PM

In my neck of the woods a 223 with 55 grain bullets is plenty to drop coyotes and does minimal pelt damage, while a 22-250 will tear a huge hole in the pelt. actually the best gun, for me so dont critize me for it, is the 17 HMR the shots are rarly over 75 yards, and as i said the coyotes aren't very big round these parts. It does minimal dameage to the pelt and anchors them very effecitanly. the biggest advantage to this cartridge is the low noise leval and nonexistant recoil.like i said i know the 17 HMR isn't the best cartridge for yotes but it will do the job as long as the coyotes in your area aren't too big.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.