Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Mole Trapping

Old 01-17-2006, 02:56 PM

Default RE: Mole Trapping

ORIGINAL: CopenHagen*Jbo

Yea i went over my bag limit in moles yesterday and dnr caught me, they were not to happy. Flys just kill them, if there that much of a problem why havent you used posions yet?
Tried it, tried poisen, the lil pecker deals you put in the ground that "emit" a sound to scare off the moles, when they are in the middle of a 60 acre hay field it aint gonna scare them that far. Everything at the hardware store that says mole on it ive used.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:00 PM

ok find a place where there are the most mole holes/ tunnels in the ground.take the highest caliber ammo (or whatever has the most powder)you can find.take the bullet out with pliers.then use the pliers to completely close the shells opening where the bullet was. then hit it with a hammer.make sure you where the ear muffs that you use for shooting(dont know what there called),as this will be loud.a .22 will sound like a 30/06.

my friend has one eccept they have shot in the shells.they rigged it for a coyote before.[8D]
Old 01-17-2006, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: live2hunt743

ORIGINAL: Coyotestalker

Wow, you must have a lot of time on your hands, if you sit out there and plink moles. . . In many counties across the nation, if you can define the moles as "destructive to property and dumping your lands value", you can get a permit.
i dont make a habbit of plinking off moles, shooting 'em is just the only way i've gone about taking care of them. traps haven't worked well for me. and about getting a permit, im sure you can. you can get a permit to shoot just about anything thats damaging your lands. it just seems odd to me that you'd need one in the first place. i cant believe moles would have a season or be protected???
Not talking about a season for moles and the like, that would be senseless and irresponsible to any law body to lobby for documentation . I am talking about using more than one method while you are taking care of acreage that would be too tiresome just to shoot them. The permit thing is just needed for the ag dept. of the states to keep track what people claim to be doing, if they are willing to do it. Another form of piling paperwork. Yet, it can be tax deductible if you can prove the moles are destroying a form of income and leveling the land value. If you can do the paperwork that is needed to prove that the underground rodents and mammals are doing damage, that is plenty of firepower and documents that the feeble minded enviro-vegies cannot debate over to be true or not. It just gives the farmer, landowner, rancher, nurseryman, so on enough justification by going through the long following of the legislation, if there is one, to not be hammered by senseless ranting from members of PETA or other extremists, even if it is a mole.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

it was a matter of speaking when i said beat it to death. zak123. dont take things so literaly!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:35 PM

im kinda getting a mental image of someone who looks quite a bit like burt from the tremors movies, blowin' up moles and such....if you've ever seen the movies you can probably relateanyways, how many moles would you estimate you have? i suppose you could drown 'em out of their holes with water, use mouse traps, or keep tinkering with traps. if their that big a problem i'd call some buddies and plan a mole hunting day. get out, track 'em down and eliminate them.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:06 PM

http://www.themoletrap.com/works.htm

now that i think of it, 200 acres wouldnt really work, dont know if u have them already but worth looking into

Old 01-17-2006, 09:30 PM

they have a good product, but the chewing gum method works.we had ground squirrels, and had people come and place a piece of *brand name withheld.but it was juicy and it tasted like fruit.[8D]*in the hole.we didnt see any more for quite a while.actualy about two weeks,but that was awile for us.it only killed the ones in our yard to.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 AM

Tried gum, think they laughed at it. I read online somwhere about soaking oatmeal in antifreeze and putting it down the hole, may try that. As for the hose in the tunels, haha I can see myself with a mile of hose out in the middle of the feild. I think this summer I am going to take a regular mole trap and try to fabricate it so that when its triggered it hits the primer on a shot shell. I was hoping to find the plans for one of these, but oh well, thanks for the responses.

Oh, as for how many there are? As of right now I would guess at least a hundred. In the fields probily 10-15 but they breed in the woods that borders the fields under thick brush witch makes it pretty much impossible to trap with all the roots and such.

Kevin
Old 01-28-2006, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: untried_talent

ok find a place where there are the most mole holes/ tunnels in the ground.take the highest caliber ammo (or whatever has the most powder)you can find.take the bullet out with pliers.then use the pliers to completely close the shells opening where the bullet was. then hit it with a hammer.make sure you where the ear muffs that you use for shooting(dont know what there called),as this will be loud.a .22 will sound like a 30/06.

my friend has one eccept they have shot in the shells.they rigged it for a coyote before.[8D]

DO NOT HIT THE SHELL WITH A HAMMER. I did this once and the primer came back and went through three fingers and stuck in my index finger. Bad Idea. Just my two cents
Old 01-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

looks like i got a rival screen name holderwelcome squrlhunter

Quick Reply: Mole Trapping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.