Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Hunting

Old 01-08-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Coyote Hunting

I am going coyote hunting in PA this year with my one friend and I would like to know what are good tools, weapon(s), calls, etc. for a cheap low total price.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coyote Hunting

just read some of the other posts on this web site. alot of people are asking the same exact question
almost sounds like a broken reccord.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:28 PM

there are volumes to be written on this subject. If yo want to save the fur, use a small CENTERFIRE like a .17 rem or a .204 ruger. They don't exit and you don't sew. (Most of the time) Use the same camo that you would use for bowhunting ot turkey hunting, including a facemask.
Any call on the market will call them in, but I like an electronic because it gets the coyote's attention away from me. This allows me to get away with more movement. These things are not to be taken lightly as the coyote sees and hears like a turkey and can smell like a deer. good luck
Oh yea, dont forget to pay attention to the wind!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: duckdog132

just read some of the other posts on this web site. alot of people are asking the same exact question
almost sounds like a broken reccord.

I agree ten times over with DUCKY here. Take the time and read some posts from the archives. And to answer your question in two words-research and patience. Research on types of calls, how to apply them, read the wind, read the weather, read on scent formation and application, study on decoy application, concealment and camo, best ranges to take a yote with the specific caliber, control your patience when hunting and don't, don't go out with an overkill attitude. Get a distress call or two, work on your camo garb, practice-practice-pracitce your calls and howls, get down and dirty on accuracy, and don't overhunt the same area. The yotes can read newbies like maggots on rotting flesh. And, another comment, there is no "CHEAP, LOW PRICE" whenever you hunt. Physical preparation, purchasing of the tools, and setup all come to a price. There is not set price whether you predator hunt, trophy hunt, or hunt for food.