Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

More yote tips???

Old 01-06-2006, 08:29 PM

Default More yote tips???

Well im going to try it again tomorrow morning, and have a few more ???s. First, everyone says they always circle downwind, so should I sit with my back to the wind?? I will be hunting mostly a timbered area, with a few small fields and food plots. Should I set up along a field edge with my scent blowing across the field, and hope they come out in the open to get downwind?? I will be using an electronic caller, and a Faulks cottontail squealer, should I use a cottontail tape, in the woods, where there are no rabbits, or should I use a woodpecker distress?? I know there are yotes here, Ive seen them, and have been getting lots of pics of them on my trail cams, in my food plots at night, and I even think I have a good idea where a family group stays in a clearcut a lot of the time, I just need some tips on my setup for the morning. Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 08:38 PM

Default RE: More yote tips???

I also wanted to say, I bought a MAD calls coyote howler, and cant seem to get it right, I think the barks sound ok, but the howls seem too deep, and if I blow harder to bring the pitch up, it seems to go up and down in tone, and doesnt sound good at all to me, I dont want to bark, because I dont want to alarm them, should I try to locate one with a howl before I set up?? I also have a coyote locator tape with howl, should I just use it until I get better with the howler. I bought this howler because I looked at several types including all of Randy Andersons stuff, and this one seemed the simplest, the others you had to put your lips or teeth here and there on the reed and blow it at this angle and that, it sounded really complicated, I guess thats shy they sound so good..
Old 01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

the problem with locating coyotes with a caller is 5 time out of ten the coyote wolnt howl back. if you are going to howl i would set up first. i cant count how many time i have used a howler exclusivly with out any prey distress calls and had coyote come into the howl silent.right now if you are wanting to howl use a chanange howl.the coyotes are pairing up for the mating season and the coyote is not going to take another comeing totry and take his girls or food.also i wouldnt use the mad call. take it back and get your money back(just my opinion.) i never could get it to sound good. the open read calls do look hard to use but they realy arent.dont pay much attention of angle and placement of your teeth. it not all that important. a little practice (about as much as you have probablydone with the mad call) and you will have it down. get one with an tape or cd to help you. thebest howlers are the open reedcowhorn ones but they run about 40 bucks(if u want one let me know i have a website i got mine from and they are great and very clear sounding). the thing about howling is make sure u dont howl very deep. you want to make the coyote think you are a yearling thinking he is bad as*. if it is to deep you can scare the yote off. as far as the wind. if you think you know where the coyote is going to come from make a set up so the coyote has to come in the open or at least where you can see him before he can wind you. if im huntin wooded areas i like to set up at the timbers edge (keep in mind concelment)where the wind is blowing in my face twards the open field but keep an eye out behind you.the problem with this is if the wind is to strong the sound wolnt get out there. if you have good breaze set up with a cross wind.. any other question fell free to ask
Old 01-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

Angus, Your set up is very impotant. If I was you I would go to the place where you think the yotes are. You should set up and call there.Some of the smarter coyotes do try to circle down wind but if they are hungry they will come right in. I once had a coyote come in and stand directly behind me and I didnt know he was there until I got up to leave. I was set up so the wind was at my back. I think you should get a better howler like Duckdog said. This will help you know which way he is coming in (if he decides to respond).
Hope you get a yote soon!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:54 PM

Angus, I'm totally new to this too but I have a "lil dog" open reed call. Don't remember who its made by but it has a both a green top and a white top with a horn, well actually it's just a bell that you can put on either top. It's open reed and not hard to get the hang of at all. It comes with a mini cd which is great for us new guys. I'm pretty sure it was less than 40. I can't say I've mastered the howl but I'm getting pretty dang close as far as my ear can tell. Just keep the reed dry cause it likes to stick shut when you go high.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Typical Buck

the call soilarch is talking about is made by primos. it runs for 22.99. i think thats what it cost when i got it right before christmas any ways. it like any cheaper call its not as clear as i would like and i didnt haveany luck with it as a howler but idid call one yote in with the green mouth peice using therabbit distress.soilarch is right though that it comes with the mini cd the really helps a beginer get the basics down on open reed calls. pluss on thatcd you get to listen to an guy sing "come little coyote come". which is a very catchy song and i have been known to catch my self singing it in my head as i am waiting for the yote to come in.lol soil know what im talkin about dont ya..haha
Old 02-02-2006, 05:39 PM

Get rid of the Mad Howler, it limits your calling. I have used a Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler for years. It is a open reed call that is very versatile and easy to use.

Good Luck