Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Calling question

Old 01-06-2006, 06:40 AM

Default Calling question

Guys, I will be yote hunting for the first time this weekend.

1) when you setup how long will you call for before you stop?

2)Do you normally use different calls in one sitting or stick to one type of call for exmaple, rabbit distress, can you throw in some yote barks?

Old 01-06-2006, 07:25 AM

Default RE: Calling question

I like to stay in one spot for 30 to 45 min.,depending on conditions. I usually stick with one call simply because I think it sounds more realistic.
Howling in conjunction with a distress call can be effective but I would stay away from the barks due to the fact that you might accidently replicate an alarm bark.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

if you know what you are doing with a howler. right now coyotes are pairing up andgetting ready to mate and a chalange howl has been working great. just be sure to use the high end of your call. you want the coyote you are chalanging to think you are smaller than him so he will actually come in to kick your as*. just like in people, you wouldnt take on someone bigger than you unless u had to, same goes with yotes.went out this morning and killed two with just howling no distress call at all(forgotthe distress callsat home and didnt feel like driving 20 minutes back home to get them)

as far as how long to be there. it really depends on your lay of the land. in realy open contry ur call will carry out longer than callin lets say timber for instance. because of this you would want to stay a alot longer before moving to the next place. i would say 20 to 30 minute per stand to be on the safe side for any condition would work. in illinois where i live we have hills every where as well as timber so i stay a max of only 20 and some hunting partners around here only stay 10 to 15. also remeber the more dense the conditions the less you u have to walk before you are out of hearing distance from your last stand(which i like cause i hate walking)
Old 02-02-2006, 05:43 PM

duckdog nailed it on the head. I live in Missouri, with a lot of woods around and an occasional farmers field, 20 - 30 minutes when in doubt is usually sufficient.

Good Luck