Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 calling question >

calling question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

calling question

Old 10-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Default calling question

With the rut fast approaching, I was wondering what kind of calls you guys use? Do you use doe bleats or buck grunts? I'm gonna try my hand with some calls next weekend (for the first time)when I get out and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:04 PM

Default RE: calling question

ive been having great response with doe contact calls with doe grunts. then throwin in some buck grunts. I try to make it sound like theres more than one deer with out over callin. Some may think i do but its worked everytime for me. When i get home Ill make a audio file of my calls if you would like
Old 10-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I've only used one call during the rut. I used the same call twice.
First time I used the Primoscan..20 minutes later a buck came. He died. Then last year I went to Missouri. I used the Primos can during th eheat of the rut....10 minutes later a doe and 3 bucks came by. The eight point died too.When you use your can ..blow into it instead of turning it upside down. Sounds very realistic. However; I 've used it this month with no success. I'm thinking teh rut might be the best time ot use it.But who knows I'mstill a rookie myself.

God bless,
C7
Old 10-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: west_hunter21

With the rut fast approaching, I was wondering what kind of calls you guys use? Do you use doe bleats or buck grunts? I'm gonna try my hand with some calls next weekend (for the first time)when I get out and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/deergrunting/deergrunt.html
Old 10-20-2006, 09:10 PM

I had a nice buck come to my rattle bag tonight within 5 minutes. He was going to circle downwind and out of range so even though he was in sight (40 yards or so) i decided to gently hit the bag again and gave one short quiet grunt and he turned my way. I got off a nice broadside shot at about 25 yards but cliped a tiny twig and ended up killing a tree instead of the buck. Round one..deer 1, hunter 0, to be continued.