Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

hevi shot "dead coyote" choke?

Old 01-02-2006, 10:35 PM

Default hevi shot "dead coyote" choke?

I will be coyote hunting and I am going to buy a box of this in either 3in or 3.5in. I will be using my Nova and my question is that is it safe to use the full choke even tho it says you cannot use steel shot but i am thinking it will be ok once i read that it is made out of tungsten, iron, nickle and two alloys and the reason why you can use a lead shot choke is because even tho it is a hard material it still has some give and it will conform to the choke as it is passing through but will spring back to form after leaving the choke. or would i be better off using a different size choke?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:42 PM

Default RE: hevi shot "dead coyote" choke?

I use a modified choke in my mossberg 835 with dead coyote and thats as full as I'd go. Even with that I usually give myself a bruise and a fat lip! It keeps about 12-15 pellets within a 6" circle. The rest are within a 1' circle. Plenty tight to kill a dog. With a full choke you run the risk of clogging up your barrel and causing damage.