Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.17 hmr

Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM

Default RE: .17 hmr

I recently bought a ruger 77/17,topped it off with a 6-18 BSA sweet 17 scope, and I love it ,extremley accurate
I shot a bluejay out of the top of a sycamore tree at about a 100 yards with it.I'm using winchester 17 gr. bullet.What brand are all you guys using?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:59 PM

like most of these guys i have a savage .17 hmr and i have killed squirrels 75 yds with it before. To be a little less pricy it does great.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:49 AM

Ruger 10/17 HMR and using federal BT.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:15 PM

ive had a 17 for over 2 years and have shot many animals with it including rabbits, crows, bluejays, squirrels and i was once allowed to harvest a seal which weighed in a 240 lbs and was shot once( emphisison on bullet placement) in the head at a distace of 246 yards with a marlin 917 topped with a redfield 3-9x shooting CCI 17 gr. hollow points. i know a 17 is not BIG enough accorinding to many for anything larger than a rabbit but i know otherwise. trust me its not a gun for anything over 70 pounds but it will work on larger animals . the 17 hmr would be an exellent gun for hunting racoons and other varmints.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd love to hear about the seal?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 PM

id like to get a henry golden boy for those who dont know the gun its sweet. lever action a little pricy and pretty for hunting but a sweet one just the same 400 to 450 i guess
Old 01-06-2006, 02:41 PM

about the seal its a long story so ill shortin it a little. there were a bunch of seals gatheing on the ice in a cove and the eagles, hawks and other preadators (lol me) were getting impatient for one to die . so just having sighted in my 17 a couple of days before i decided i would help my hungry friends, the eagles, and shoota seal. so i loaded the clip of my marlin .17 put a harris bipod on it and gathered up all the white camo i had and belly crawled to about what i thought was 200 yards, turned out to be over that by a lot. i ajusted the bipod so it was level and soomed the scoe up to 9x and picked out the larget of about 10 seals and held a little abouve the top edge of the seals head and waited for the lite wind to stop almost completly and squeezed the trigger ever so gently and POOF the little bullet was off and through the scope i saw a large amount of blood and other stuff fly out the other side of his head and the seal fell over on the spot and kicked a flipper a few times . it was quite dead later, wheni returned and inspeced the damage i found the little bullet had made an invisible hole in the front of his head and tore a hole about the size of your fist on the exit side. there was a also a large crack along the top of the skull which i think shows the long range killing potential of the 17 HMR.

P.S: the eagles and hawksate like millionares that winter, it took them a month and a half of steady eating to completly devour the seal.

also wouldnt reccommend that anybody try a feat like this unless they are an exellent shot and the conditions are just right
Old 01-07-2006, 08:38 PM

I have a svage 17HMr it only cost 150 bucks great out to 200yards. Shoots 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Great Factory gun. Cant beat 150 for a nice rifle.
MattS