Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Texas Panhandle lions?

Old 01-07-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Texas Panhandle lions?

got a question for you guys and I promise I am not crazy.

guy on our hunting lease shot a deer last weekend. we found blood and knew that he had hit it, but we could not find the deer.
yesterday we found some of the remains, basically just the head and fur. we also found a trail where the carcass had obviously been drug for quite a distance. around the carcass we found prints that I could put my hand inside of.

I have heard rumors of some sightings of mountain lions down in this area the last few years.
has anyone elsehere in this areaseen or heard this?

if this is in fact what we have, how would you go about trying to get it?
would some kind of call work?
we could kill a pig and throw out in the area and see if it comes in to that.
or would you use traps? and what for bait?

I am really intrigued by this and anxious to follow up on it.

thanks for any advice or tips you give us.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:57 AM

Default RE: Texas Panhandle lions?

if it is legal in that area i would leave a dead pig or other large animal and set up a bunch of trailcams all aroun it , that way maybe you would be able to get a picture of the animal.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are a lot of confirmed sightings in western Iowa, why not your neck of the woods. Years ago, I came across some prints in southwest Louisiana. They looked like cat prints, but were bigger than a redbone coonhounds paw prints. Were they cougar/panther? I don't know, but I haven't seen anything like it since.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:35 PM

Pbajeff what parts are u from in the panhandle? We saw a lion during deer season, around the hartley area. Thats 70 miles north of amarillo.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

If legal, get some hounds. Lions don't bait well, but will return to thier own kill if you find one (also a great place to start your dogs). We sometimes "accidentilly" catch lions while chasing other game. Females are more likely to return to a kill and toms are more likely to keep making new kills. Oh, and just cause ya caught it doesn't mean ya gotta kill it.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:39 AM

We have 2 sections that run along the south side of the river bedabout 5 miles east of Shamrock. This is where this happened.
I also have a buddy that has 3 sections a few miles southwestof Clarendon. I was talking with him about it and he said he thinks he has them around his place too. Hehas a pretty bad problem with pigs on his place and he said he has seen the same type thinghappen with pigs that he has shot down there.

I was really suprised that there was even a possibility of them being in this area. I have heard that for a few years around here, but figured it was just bs.
I dont know what we will do if we find it for sure. My brother wants to get it, and I will admit I am hate the predators myself, but I know absolutely nothing about lions.
Do they stay in one area?What are some of their habits?
I think we are going to try and set up a couple game cameras andgo from there.

thanks for any tips.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:43 PM
t3

we have spotted them here in southeast oklahoma so its possible that you have them in your area.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

A young one that was tagged in the Black Hills turned up several months later dead on a railroad track in Oklahoma. So, they do get around...