Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 having problems keeping rifle steady. >

having problems keeping rifle steady.

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

having problems keeping rifle steady.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default having problems keeping rifle steady.

Just got a new 22-250 for coyote hunting. Ive been shooting it and I am having major problems keeping the crosshairs firmly planted on the target, even using a shooting stick or a knee pad that holds the gun like for use when turkey hunting. I've dont have this problem with any of my other guns. Even when they were new they always felt comfortable.

Any tips or pointers, I can shoot real good with it from the prone position but Im afraid if I coyote hunt like that I may not see some coyotes due to me being close to the ground. Do I just need more practice with it maybe. Ive been through 50 rounds so far. Thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 08:45 PM

Default RE: having problems keeping rifle steady.

Just a thought, maybe to much scope or bad fit. Either one of these can cause problems.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Well, the scope is a redfield 3-9x40off of my deer rifle. Its set up the same as it was on my .270 colt and it was perfect for me, could need a little tweeking though. Maybe I just need some more shooting time is all.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:29 PM

I shoot a bipod when coyote hunting. Is the rifle too light-weight maybe?
The only other thing i can suggest is to choose your setups so that you can lay down and still see.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you having trouble holding steady at all times or only during the trigger pull maybe? I start losing accuracy any time my trigger pull is over 4 1/2 pounds or so (which is unfortunately lower than most factory triggers are set).

If you are using shooting sticks, try adjusting how far in or out you are placing the sticks to see if there is a certain spot you are steadier.

Unless you are shooting from a bench, there will always be a little wobble. To compensate for this, I try to keep my wobble zone within the target area as much as possible, but I also time my shot with my breathing. Some people hold their breath during a shot, but that doesn't work as well for me as shooting when I'm exhaling. I hold slightly above the target, slowly exhale and let the crosshairs slowly drop. When they intersect the target, I pull the trigger. It is easier for me to direct my motion than try to eliminate motion completely.

As with anything, practice makes a lot of difference. Just experiment until you find a system that works for you.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 AM

ORIGINAL: psychmonky
I shoot a bipod when coyote hunting.
I would try this. Something that mounts to the front sling stud. Shooters Ridge makes different sized bipods for pretty cheap (comparatively).
Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

try putting weights draped over the stock. buy one of those bullet holders that wrap around your stock and instead of using bullets use pennies in those paper wraps of fifty. adding weight to the tail of the gun might keep it a little steadier against your shoulder and check. heavy guns to me are always more steadier.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have troubles when the scopes power is too high. I know this is obvious but I forget sometimes!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder how it is that you're sitting while shooting. Are you crossing your legs in front of you or have them wider than your shoulders, knees bent and out in front of and to either side of the shooting sticks? Are you simply letting the gun sit on the sticks, or are you holding the x of the sticks under the rifle or ? Where are you placing the sticks on the stock, near the sling stud or back closer to the trigger gaurd?
With my shooting sticks, I can sit and shoot prairie dogs out to 200 yards on a regular basis. Finding your comforatable postion is key, and using them many times will help. I'll never use a bi-pod that is attached to my calling rifle again!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Well, thanks for all the suggestions. I already have a bipod that I can use effectively, but I must be laying prone because of their height, or lack thereof.
I wil try all the suggestions, I am particularly curious about adding a little weight and seeing how that helps. Itis lighter than all my other rifles.

Thanks again.